Parachute silk

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris B

Queen Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Helping to clear through a long departed beekeepers shed yesterday.
Among the crumbling veils, metal ends, PDB crystals, Folbex strips, etc. I found a small bag labelled Parachute Silk and the contents seemed in good condition.
What would this have been used for if anything in a beekeeping context? I have no idea personally.

i dont know maybe a nice shirt for the Beekeeping association annual ball or something.

could be to make the swarm catching bags used in the german skep vids. or to strain the honey as its proberly quite a tight weave.

polishing your wax once it's out of the mould, before taking to the honey show....

I vaguely remember something about parachute silk and polishing....

But just remember.
You can't polish a turd!

dying drones

[Just been outside and there a lot of drones wondering aimlesly around and then five gathered together and one was trying to feed them all....I presume they have reached the end of their little lives....seems a bit sad. Then i saw a worker with some pollen also looking as it its dying...anyone any idea what may be happening? I've got five full frames in a super and the brood box looks pretty full?

seems a bit sad

Perfectly natural, and surprising they are still around now. Up to 10 000 workers might die in one week during the summer, so nothing unusual.

However, I think you should have started a thread? Not tacked it onto one about parachute silk...

RAB

Last edited:
ohh thought of another possible use. as a traveling screen.... its breathable and strong so could be put ontop of hive instead of crownboard and a bungee cord put around it to hold it in place????

Maybe just a 'useful piece of cloth'.

I recall as a lad there was an endless treasure trove in elderly neighbours sheds. Quite a lot of ex military surplus among it too including 'souvenirs' - nothing explosive as I recall but there were odd badges, shell cases and bits of various uniforms. Oh, and a bayonet or two and knives that you might not carry around so readily today.

Bloomers...a WW2 luxury item

Yes, a bit of silk is just the sort of thing that might be presented as a special, er, present ... and thus the sort of thing that a perfectly decent chap wanting to reserve for his honey straining (if I can call it that) would undoubtedly have to keep squirrelled away, where else but in his last male bastion, the shed.

How much is there? I would love to buy it off you if there are a few metres. I desperatley need some original material to make a new spinaker for my vintage dinghy. The original one was made of very fine cotton and is very frail.

JIC

Just In Case :)

You wouldn't throw such a precious commodity away. ;)

I just unpacked the bag.
5 or 6 pieces chopped into squares about 1m.
(Doesn't sound enough for your purposes Rog?)
They look like decent honey straining cloths to me, apart from a musty aroma and a few hand written 4 digit numbers in various places, possibly annual tonnage or even ladies telephone numbers.

Chris, thanks but pieces will be to small. I shall have to keep looking.

. . . and a few hand written 4 digit numbers in various places, possibly annual tonnage or even ladies telephone numbers.

Four figure annual tonnages! What was his name Mr Gale? Just a hobby beek then?

Latest posts

Back