Painting hives

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I stay away from masonry paints as I find they go a bit chalky after a while and flake off.
I use Cuprinol garden shades and have done for years with no ill affect on the bees or hives. Garden shades was developed for outside wood that expands and contracts.
loads of colours to choose from:-
https://www.cuprinol.co.uk/products/garden_shades.jsp

I do like the juniper green ... I'm not sure the primer is needed... We have a new crown centre in town so handy

I wasn't sure about the primer either but for the sake of it and the possibility of not having to repaint them for a bit longer decided to use it. It made sense in what he said that masonry paint relies on a porous type substrate to get the best adhesion which poly isn't, the gripper primer just gave it a better surface to stick to.

Last edited:
I have painted a poly hive with Juniper green gloss straight from the Hamnerite tin with no primer. Still perfect after 2 years..

This site gives a good overview of the various paint finishes

http://www.resene.co.nz/homeown/probsolv/glosslvl.htm

But yeah a gloss finish is usually the most durable shell you can paint onto something.

'Durability
As a rule of thumb, within the same generic type of paint, glossier products will have more durability than their flatter counterparts. The rate of drop off in the durability of exterior waterborne paints with decreasing gloss is much less than that of solventborne paints and while very useful lives may be achieved with low gloss and flat waterborne paints outside, solventborne paints of the same degree of gloss would erode very rapidly.'

Well I've just been for a pot of masonry mixed and its s good job I checked on colours from the swatches....the juniper is a very strange green seems very black indeed not a joyful colour ..couldn't think of a better word lol....so now I'm still cogitating over a green

I 100% agree from experience that Yellow particularly is a magnet for wasps any time of the year, all the vehicles where i worked many moons ago where yellow and we got tortured with wasps, they just seemed to keep coming, i even witnessed a wasp one day picking a fly of the windscreen of the lorry.

Also if you go on any building site when wasps are active you can see the working folk who have to wear high viz ability clothing waving there arms about all day long trying to get rid of the wasps, and when the fields get cut they get covered in little black beetles..;)

:winner1st:
Nothing like experience to underline fact!

Yeghes da

I 100% agree from experience that Yellow particularly is a magnet for wasps any time of the year, all the vehicles where i worked many moons ago where yellow and we got tortured with wasps, they just seemed to keep coming, i even witnessed a wasp one day picking a fly of the windscreen of the lorry.

Also if you go on any building site when wasps are active you can see the working folk who have to wear high viz ability clothing waving there arms about all day long trying to get rid of the wasps, and when the fields get cut they get covered in little black beetles..;)

early this century we were patrolling the South Coast up towards Dungeness when plagues of hoverflies were blown over from France they seemed to be attracted to our gold braid epaulettes and would settle in their hundreds on our shoulders - a few of our more lily livered crew members, thinking they were wasps almost wet themselves in panic

Well I've just been for a pot of masonry mixed and its s good job I checked on colours from the swatches....the juniper is a very strange green seems very black indeed not a joyful colour ..couldn't think of a better word lol....so now I'm still cogitating over a green

shes a dark green alright but leaves objects almost invisible to a passing eye, I suppose there is nothing joyful either about visiting your hives only to find them gone! which we are being told is happening more often nowadays.

there is nothing joyful either about visiting your hives only to find them gone! which we are being told is happening more often nowadays.

Nah - that's old hat, the new fad is sneaking in at midnight and stealing the queens it's easier at that time as all the bees will be sleeping (you can hear them snoring if you put your ear to the entrance)

Brac Croatia

Came across these last year while on a bike ride, dont know where they get the time from, lovely.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    263.5 KB · Views: 38
I do prefer lighter shades for beehives so there's a contrast at the entrance.

Latest posts

Back