Painted wings

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhyolite

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
In my efforts to mark the queen, my marker blobbed paint all over her wings.

Is this an issue?

Well ... she won't be swarming in a hurry ! She will either get on with her job or they will decide they don't like her new livery and will supercede. I would not recommend painting wings as and anti swarming measure though ... :)

In my efforts to mark the queen, my marker blobbed paint all over her wings.

Is this an issue?
Did the ink flood? I always use the pen on something like the roof to make sure the ink is flowing nicely before marking. I've never had a flooding accident but I did make a mess of marking a queen who kept managing to squirm about so she now has white paint on her wings.
Some people have found their queens safe and well, fingers crossed for you.

I did exactly the same a week ago. She was a new queen and managed to get paint on her wings. I was very concerned in case I'd made it difficult for her to fly and mate. But actually all seems to be well because when I looked yesterday she had started laying so either she flew OK and mated or she was already mated when I decorated her - probably the latter.

In retrospect I should have waited until I was sure that she was mated before marking her - and of course taken more care.

Did the ink flood? I always use the pen on something like the roof to make sure the ink is flowing nicely before marking. I've never had a flooding accident but I did make a mess of marking a queen who kept managing to squirm about so she now has white paint on her wings.
Some people have found their queens safe and well, fingers crossed for you.
Yes, I got some of the pen paint flowing by using it on the side of the box but when I went to put some on her a huge drop went on her.

Hopefully her wings aren't glued together.

It's why I wait until they are laying before marking them. I used discs for a while but the risk of glue on the wings of virgins was a bit dodgy. I'm not that clever at intricate stuff these days so I can't (don't trust myself) hold them any more.

Had it happen a few times - never bothered the queen or the bees, they have still been there inspection after inspection
I agree, I've got several that have been "blobbed" none have been superseded to my knowledge.

This one was a split queen, I never marked her last year so no concerns about laying. Thanks for the replies everyone

Latest posts

Back