Pains sale & feeder update

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

itma

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Just a heads up.
Prompted by the ad in today's BBKA News, I checked their website. Seems the sale has started already.
Roughly 10% off National poly bits, 25% off 14x12 poly nuc, the nuc eke is down to £7.50, and there's 50% off the feeder that I've always thought looked like a wretched design.

It seems the feeder is being re-designed. No new pic on the website yet. But the old stock is priced to go.

I emailed Roger yesterday and he responded saying he's added them over the course today for the 1st Oct (there wasnt anything listed last night when I looked).

He says the swienty langstroth's are not included in the sale :(. However he did say he's hoping to include them in there bigger January sales.

I've got one of the new feeders, they are much better. The gap up the middle is narrower to stop brace comb and there is a plastic cover between the 2 dams to stop bees flying up and in to the syrup every time you try to check it.

I have 6 of the olds that have worked well so far but the issues with them (not major and only used for a week a year anyway) have been addressed by the above...decision more of the same (cheap) or buy the new...:rolleyes:

Bought some of these P***** old style feeders last year, and only got them out of the box this week. Intrigued by the comments here about DIY modification. What are the problems with these feeders in use and how would you alter them??

Thanks

i also have 3 of these feeders some pics of mods would be great.

I new that would come quality

Come on guys!

I loved the pictures, and had a real giggle.

How about enlightening me on what I should do with these feeders?

Come on guys!

I loved the pictures, and had a real giggle.

How about enlightening me on what I should do with these feeders?

The prime problem in my eyes is the use of the hive roof as the feeder lid.
So fixing that (giving it its own lid) is the name of the game.

The important bit is giving it a lid over the central "bee zone". (So the bees don't fly out as you refill, or try to prop the feeder to the roof.)
Lids over the syrup zones would be nice, but not quite so essential.
One of the jobs that lot entails is removing (or altering) the 'bee walls' that rise up above the sides, originally intended to meet the underside of the roof.

Last edited:
It actually says on their website what the problems were and the difference between the old and new versions

Latest posts

Back