Oxalic or wait....?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonnyPicklechin

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
20 odd
Hi there

Have strong colony. Eggs, stores, a witnessed Queen but only 1 hive. I have not treated yet for Varroa as bottom board has mites but seems low count.

Since winter was mild I did not Oxalic but have the vaporiser and crystals ready to do so.

Should I wait for drones (just coming into the hive now) and then sugar test or can I / should I go ahead now?

I have just treated with the third and final treatment before Autumn. 24 hr drop is still in the hundreds. God knows what it's going to be like by then.

"Before autumn"? Not sure I understand your comment given that its spring...Am I not reading you right?

Should I wait for drones (just coming into the hive now) and then sugar test or can I / should I go ahead now?

You do not need drones to do a sugar roll. Do it now.
You need to treat before supers are on (or take off) if you have a problem.
If you don't want to take supers off there is always MAQS

"Before autumn"? Not sure I understand your comment given that its spring...Am I not reading you right?

I just meant that would be my next planned treatment time if I still have high levels then

"If you had the vapuriser why didn't you go ahead regardless in winter?"

The bees were busy early because it was mild I simply decided against it. Learning...

Latest posts

Back