Oxalic acid

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davidrf

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I purchased two ready prepared bottle dispensers of OA but found I could treat the clusters using only one bottle. Is there anything to be gained from doing a second treatment in the New Year if weather conditions are suitable?

Thanks Finman, but it doesn't actually address the question. Is there any advantage to repeating the treatment rather than wasting the spare bottle?

There is no advantage in winter, very likely to do more harm.
Throw it away and use fresh next winter.

I purchased two ready prepared bottle dispensers of OA but found I could treat the clusters using only one bottle. Is there anything to be gained from doing a second treatment in the New Year if weather conditions are suitable?

One treatment a year. Only.

IMO, if the varroa drop is very heavy after the first treatment (count over say 1,000) then a second dose will do no harm so long as it is done before the queen recommences laying - in short mid Jan latest so as to allow the oxalic to have completely dispersed by the time she is ready. Personally, I sublimate/evaporate oxalic and the advice I have given is precisely the same for which ever method one uses and is available on other links on this topic.

The consensus of all the beeks advice I've seen over the last few years is:

A Only use once, ideally 21 days after the first hard frost in your area (below -2c)
B Any leftover pre-mixed oa from suppliers won't last 12 months

Latest posts

Back