Oxalic acid treatment.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reigate

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Advice please. I have one colony to treat using the trickle method. The amount of Apibioxal to use is 3.5 grams. How is the best way to measure this amount as it is a small amount.

A digital kitchen scale works well for my purposes. The quantities really do matter so don't guess/approximate.

Advice please. I have one colony to treat using the trickle method. The amount of Apibioxal to use is 3.5 grams. How is the best way to measure this amount as it is a small amount.

I have more hives now so I use most of a packet but when I was in a situation similar to you I didn't measure it out but used the manufacturers instructions to make the whole lot up and what wasn't used I threw away. That way there is no measurement and no doubt as to the correct dose. I only use it once a year so would buy a new packet every year anyway and certainly wouldn't use a packet that had been open for 12 months.

I have more hives now so I use most of a packet but when I was in a situation similar to you I didn't measure it out but used the manufacturers instructions to make the whole lot up and what wasn't used I threw away. That way there is no measurement and no doubt as to the correct dose. I only use it once a year so would buy a new packet every year anyway and certainly wouldn't use a packet that had been open for 12 months.

You're obviously not a Yorkshireman :)

Oxalic acid

Hi Gilberdike John, I can’t see why people aren’t just using oxalic acid and making it up with 1:1 sugar solution. This Api-Bioxal is only oxalic acid cut with fillers. Oxalic acid on its own is cheap as chips. (I’m a Yorkshireman)

Hi Gilberdike John, I can’t see why people aren’t just using oxalic acid and making it up with 1:1 sugar solution. This Api-Bioxal is only oxalic acid cut with fillers. Oxalic acid on its own is cheap as chips. (I’m a Yorkshireman)

The only reason is that its not legal. Now if you could buy pharmaceutical grade oxalic acid, like you can buy methylated spirits for example, that would be a different matter.

The only reason is that its not legal. Now if you could buy pharmaceutical grade oxalic acid, like you can buy methylated spirits for example, that would be a different matter.

Why would that be different?
It would still be illegal to use it as a varroa treatment.

Now it wouldn't be a different matter because it wouldn't be licensed for use with bees. Also you would need a license to buy this chemical as it is on the poisons list (although no-one seems to ask for it or check)

Latest posts

Back