OSR Honey Warmed For Two day's BUT.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Co / Durham / Co Cleveland and Northumberland
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
17 nucs....
I have warmed a 30lb bucket of oil seed rape honey for two days at 45C..it is still 16% moisture and ready to gently stir with my drill and paint stirring paddle..however i have finished work late tonight and i will not have time to stir it every hour till it starts to cool down till the weekend..would you OSR honey lovers set my mind at ease and say it will be ok letting it tick over in the warming cabinet at 35C till maybe Friday when i will be finished work earlier.. that will give me a few more hours to stir it hopefully till it starts to cool and change colour..
Thanks.
Steve.

I don't think you should be warming honey if you need to ask this kind of question.

My advice would be, take some time, read a few books and only then should you start to warm honey.

Ok thanks .
Well avoided! LOL
7e58fb277c2db92e610ea236d9808ec5.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

I don't think you should be warming honey if you need to ask this kind of question.

My advice would be, take some time, read a few books and only then should you start to warm honey.

Is there any other way of dealing with OSR?

Sorry - it was meant in jest!

The longer the time and the higher the temp, then the higher the levels of HMF produced. I try to keep both to a minimum, but saying that since 35 is brood nest temp you will be ok.

:sunning:

Thank yee..;) ..i wish oil seed rape was banned but sadly not so thee has to deal with it..

I think banning OSR is a bit 'overkill'. May be genetically modifying the plant to stop it's nectar/honey setting would be a better option.

I don’t find a need to hold it at any high temps, it’s filtered at time of extraction and into buckets. Heated till liquid but still cloudy when required. Stirring over a few days until it gets to a point that you can still just bottle, the longer you can leave it/stir the better and less frosting in the jar.

If it gets anymore genetically modified it won't even be a plant.

If the scientists stuck in a few jellyfish genes, it could be grown on the see-bed thus freeing up loads of farmland to be converted into solar-farms. Its a win-win all-round.

Latest posts

Back