OSR Honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

its.only.money

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi
Have a number of supers full of, what I believe is, OSR honey. Did a shake test on Friday, and the frames I checked (from the centre of the supers) failed the shake test, so left on the hives.

It's been warm and sunny for last two days and OSR is still in flower. Typically, how long would it be to reasonably expect them to be ready. Understand a lot would depend on weather, area of country and a load of other variables. But what would reasonable expectation be?

Unfortunately the weather looks to be turning tomorrow so not sure how easy it will be to remove in the next few days.

TiA
Paul

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

I only do two extractions a year, Spring and Autumn. I take myOSR off when the flowers fade on the crop. A couple of frames may have set by then, so some do multiple extractions. Shake test and capping is a good guide to when it's ready, but you really need a refractometer to be sure.
For the first time in 10 years there is no OSR near me and I am relieved.

Thank for the reply. This is my first OSR year... and don't want to be guilty of leaving it too long. I have a refractometer so will check that too prior to extraction.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back