OSR honey in warming cabinet.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simonforeman

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I have a couple of buckets of honey extracted beginning of May this year, It set like concrete and was a lovely pure white colour. I have had it in the warming cabinet now at 40 degrees for 24hours but it is still like custard thickness and not clear and runny.
My plan was get it nice and runny and add some seed honey from my last years batch to make the soft set.

My concern is it will be heated for too long or will it be OK for longer? Is it going to geg runny or do I now need to stir and cream it with my drill and will this work without the seed of go back to concrete?

Rather than seeding it you can cream it, just by mixing it whilst it’s starting to set again with a creamer or potato masher. I’ve only done it with freshly extracted OSR honey, not after it’s been re liquified, however I will have to give it a go as I have not got enough done. I mixed it carefully without incorporating air every 12 hours or so. When it starts to thicken it can suddenly change so be ready to jar it up. Either way it sounds as if you want to get it until a bit more of a liquid state.

No need to seed the osr it normally is the seed, as above work it whist you can and bottle at the last minute before it goes hard. I filter osr before bucketing so no need to totally melt.

40 degrees is questionable for OSR to liquid - especially overnight, with a 30lb tub it ain’t gonna happen. I completely understand everyone’s desire not to overheat Honey but there does seem to be a competition to who can heat the least with a lot of threads............
If you search the forum temps of up to 60 degrees are quoted for solid Honey to liquid - this I feel is too high but at least it will work and highlights the ‘safe’ temp you’re currently at. Give the buckets a stir to distribute the heat and leave in for longer, maybe tweek the heat up a tad. If you’re looking to seed the liquid you need to ensure all the crystals are dissolved, by stirring you’ll be able to see something resembling granulated sugar at the bottom of your tubs if this hasn’t yet been achieved - filtering through a fine filter will also help (I’m guessing) in removing any final crystals.
And yes I don’t think there’s anything wrong in filtering

No need to seed the osr it normally is the seed, as above work it whist you can and bottle at the last minute before it goes hard. I filter osr before bucketing so no need to totally melt.
That's much the same as I did extracted from the frames at 40ish c ( concervatory) into a settling tank then put into buckets while it was liquid.. Left for 2 weeks.. I had to scrape a layer of wax first then warmed in the cabinet until it was soft enough to stir, still creamy curd tipe texture and then mixed 1 bucket of osr/orchard honey with 1 bucket of runny spring honey using a plastering paddle and Jared straight away.
And this is what I've ended up with.
It's creamy and soft set with a very smooth texture.
We had honey on toast the following morning

567ecfd274243757a3aaad21ddac118a.jpg

Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back