On strike

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why do you think she’s on a brood break. I would say that’s odd at this time of year even given the poor recent weather.

They can go for months (think about how many weeks they don't lay through winter). Without brood (and also without a queen) the workers soon adjust their physiology (become so-called "winter bees") and can survive in that state for several months.

They can go for months (think about how many weeks they don't lay through winter). Without brood (and also without a queen) the workers soon adjust their physiology (become so-called "winter bees") and can survive in that state for several months.

This time of the year though..? ..

How long ,in real life,could a queen on a brood break go without jeopardising the colony?

Having just gone through and now hopefully coming out of
more than four months of voluntary broodbreaks the norm
was seen as in numbers reducing. Yet likewise metabolism
slows dramaticly also so numbers like 120 days of Life for
workers is not so unexpected.
The time to worry is when environmentally great conditions
exist and yet brood production is slacking off, time to pay
attention.

Bill

It would be helpful if the op came back and said if this was a general question or if his queen is off lay now. For large parts of the U.K. the main flow would have started but for the recent weather, or will do shortly it’s peak season for many. If he has a mated queen that’s not up and running now he may well have an issue.

It would be helpful if the op came back and said if this was a general question or if his queen is off lay now. For large parts of the U.K. the main flow would have started but for the recent weather, or will do shortly it’s peak season for many. If he has a mated queen that’s not up and running now he may well have an issue.

Reads as an open question but sure IF seeking a specific number
the post content is lacking.
As an observation only it does seem to be a thing where new (?)
names popup, a question or remark passed and then nothing, nada
zilch.

Bill

Reads as an open question but sure IF seeking a specific number
the post content is lacking.
As an observation only it does seem to be a thing where new (?)
names popup, a question or remark passed and then nothing, nada
zilch.

Bill
Sorry -the inconvenience of having to work to eat got in the way....
The queen was laying up to 10 days ago then no brood,no cell polishing and no new architecture
They are foraging and filling stores -saving the centre bottom broodspace but for what?
There is uncapped stores in the new drone comb they were building.
This was a captured swarm and she is unmarked -I can't see her.
They have not been prolific in any aspect and are occupying a hive I could be using for more grateful bees,so I'd like a rough idea how long I should tolerate this.
I'm watching for multiple eggs per cell but theres no eggs at all .
I cant see her but the colony is even tempered at the moment.-which is a slight change as they can be quite tetchy
The weather has been shite for about 3 weeks but is set to begin drying a little.

My queens are the same as yours as is our weather.. With the weather improving I expect to see eggs in a week to 10 days..

This happens to me every "normal" summer except 2018 which was abnormally good..

(which only goes to show beekeeping is very localised in the UK...due to the weather - which 20 miles away from here in the Cheshire plain some 120 meters lower can be warmer, drier and better for bees..)

Sorry -the inconvenience of having to work to eat got in the way....
The queen was laying up to 10 days ago then no brood,no cell polishing and no new architecture
They are foraging and filling stores -saving the centre bottom broodspace but for what?
There is uncapped stores in the new drone comb they were building.
This was a captured swarm and she is unmarked -I can't see her.
They have not been prolific in any aspect and are occupying a hive I could be using for more grateful bees,so I'd like a rough idea how long I should tolerate this.
I'm watching for multiple eggs per cell but theres no eggs at all .
I cant see her but the colony is even tempered at the moment.-which is a slight change as they can be quite tetchy
The weather has been shite for about 3 weeks but is set to begin drying a little.
Thankyou for that feedback.
I too have to eat, so I'll give the situation some thought over Dinner watching
the game, and get back to you, for sure to be sure.
/waves/

Bill

--

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/state-...eensland/1a42871b-6ddc-4b07-b780-00d606d0bc50

Latest posts

Back