Omlet Beehaus

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Todays Times (p19) has a half page article (or is it advertorial) stating "They are among the least demanding pets. They never need feeding or walking and are extremely good at looking after themselves". Later in the article Kate Solomon who apparently enjoys getting stung while lying under her Eglu hive taking photos.......started an Eglu hive on a rooftop in St Pancras in May and 'harvested' 12 jars of honey after 6 weeks and expects many more this month. Well, it is apparent that I have now got so many beekeeping things wrong that I might as well pack it in now! And as for taking the Thunderer!

Well I have to say that I like the look of it. It uses National frames, which has to be key. And given that it is 22 frames wide, you could argue that you're getting 2 hives in one, which makes the price much more reasonable.

I also like the "mini supers", which will be much lighter to lift when full.

But I'm not sure that I'm about to dig into my pocket to the tune of £465 at this moment!

Well I have to say that I like the look of it. It uses National frames, which has to be key. And given that it is 22 frames wide, you could argue that you're getting 2 hives in one, which makes the price much more reasonable.

I also like the "mini supers", which will be much lighter to lift when full.

But I'm not sure that I'm about to dig into my pocket to the tune of £465 at this moment!

Are they National frames or 14 x 12 modified nats?

I fear most of those Beehauses will never see a colony of bees.
How many 14x12 nucs are there available? Let alone in the price range £80 to £150. Let alone delivered locally. Let alone available all the way through from April to September.
They'll be many 30-day returns from disappointed almost-beekeepers whose expectations haven't been managed very well.

I have chickens. I have a wooden coop. I acquired a (second hand) eglu. I prefer the wooden coop as it's bigger. The eglu is brilliant for holidays: a freind looks after my chickens at her place, the eglu is easy to move (fits in back of car very easily). Ultimately, they are both just hen houses.
Same as the Beehaus: it's just a hive. That's all.
I would expect people to look at me funny when I tell them I have a Smith (I'm too young!) particularly people who have Commercials or Langstroths, but I wouldn't expect it to define my entire personality.
The marketing machine of the Beehaus is a bit dodgy IMO, a bit too "idyllic" rather than realistic. But so's the marketing blerb of the vast majority of consumer products. Most people don't get to be an adult without realising that the famillies you see on bread adverts are not real life (I hope they aren't anyhow!) and am sure most people are perfectly able to realise that positive marketing blerb of a Beehaus doesn't mean that beekeeping has no downsides.

Can I point out to any new members thinking of taking up beekeeping that a list was made early this year for Beekeeping courses in the uk.

It can be downloaded below.
Please mention the beekeeping forum if contacting any of the numbers so they can update us with 2010 details.

Many thanks
Admin

BEEKEEPING COURSES CLICK HERE TO VIEW

Comparing an Eglu to a wendy house just shows ignorance and a lack of research - when wendy houses are made with twin wall construction then maybe prices will be comparable?

!

I am perfectly aware of its twin wall construction….that must add all of 50% to the construction costs! So lets now price it at about £150. Justify the other £310?

Omlet have updated their site

http://www.omlet.co.uk/products_services/products_services.php?view=bees

I am realy impressed with the product:cheers2:

And on further reading, tempeted to buy one.

ps_bhaus_dia_zoom.gif

As was suggested a few posts back, you are actualy getting 2 hives for the price i.e two entrances and 22 frames.

It does have mesh floor and trays.

Yes I joke about the wendy house, but I do know what has gone into the omlet hive.

:cheers2:

I agree Jim,the problem with beekeepers is we often hate anything new !
Grumpy old Men/Woman come's to mind :laughing-smiley-004

I can just see the local pub years ago getting a bit loud when someone walked in with a hive that was in box sections and some local beek shouting "What's wrong with using a skep!!"

I think many of the mickey posts at the begining of the thread was just us having fun,what we dont want to do is become "Elitist" on the forum just because we are using a tried and tested hive type.

Welcome to anyone thinking of buying a Beehaus :grouphug:

I am perfectly aware of its twin wall construction….that must add all of 50% to the construction costs! So lets now price it at about £150. Justify the other £310?

Shame you don't live nearer - I might be able to convince you if you saw one in the flesh :)

Shame you don't live nearer - I might be able to convince you if you saw one in the flesh :)

I already have an Eglu and a cube in green,If my wife see's one she will buy it as she loves the Omlet stuff.

We have extended runs,Grub and Glugs and just about everything else they sell to date.

You could try convincing me.......owner of home-built top bar and Warré hives (for a very few quid), not a fan of foundation or chemicals, who is just putting the finishing touches to a proper wooden hen house made from recycled timber.......:)

I already have an Eglu and a cube in green,If my wife see's one she will buy it as she loves the Omlet stuff.

We have extended runs,Grub and Glugs and just about everything else they sell to date.

Ooooh Admin you are such a merchandisers dream

bebe, I dont need convincing, my own constructed coop (pictures on the omlet site!) is far superiour than the cube:boxing_smiley::cheers2:

bank? - there's posh for you! And there's me with my penny jar ......:svengo:

I Think Admin (Mrs Admin) is implying the negative state due to "essential beekeeping purchases", rather than positive equity?

I also have my penny jar for honey (bees) and egg money.

Latest posts

Back