Oh My God

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
....... like the Forum, for example.

It's not till you mention matchsticks, neonicotinoids, BBKA or Waspbane, that the real crazies show their real selves.

Dusty

What ? what ? what did you say .... Nurse, quick, the screens ... best bring the restraints as well ....

Only if the person using it is only ever allowed to carry two rounds of ammunition at any one time.

Sometimes it only takes one round to change history....

My 5GR, grand uncle was Thomas Jefferson't first vice president. At that time, the candidate receiving the most votes became President of the US, while the runner up became Vice President. They were from different political parties, and disagreements happened often.

It was also at a time when dueling with pistols was legal and accepted. My uncle, the Vice President, had an argument with Alexander Hamilton, Treasurer of the US, which resulted in a duel with single shot pistols.

Hamilton shot into the air and my uncle, Aaron Burr, fatally shot Hamilton.

Nothing I would agree with, or be proud of, but telling you this just to show how, even in my family's history, guns were used for the wrong reasons.

Sometimes it only takes one round to change history....

I have read the history of this, Mike, even if they had not used dueling pistols one of them was going to end up dead or satisfied, just that they would of used swords instead.

I agree. My reason for the original post wasn't to bash guns and gun owners, but to vent a bit, and ask others here their opinions. No use posting on the US forums and get harassed.

My reason for the original post wasn't to bash guns and gun owners

I never thought it was, Mike. Remember Andrew? well he is no longer in the military, finally got that completely out of his system, I'm pleased to say.

I didn't think it was Pete.

Yes, of course I remember Andrew and his endurance test. Good for him and you all, now that he's out. You must be relieved. Is he working with you now, or has he got a beekeeping apprenticeship?

I feel for you, Michael and I'm glad they are OK. How anyone can consider it a good idea to own a gun is beyond me, I'm afraid.

I don't think the problem is owning a gun, but the ease of access to guns.

After Dunblane, we decided to remove handguns from the general population. So now, if you are discovered to have a handgun without the requisite storage, registration, documentation, you are immediately a criminal.

Most gun crimes in the US (more than 70%) are committed with handguns and largely among criminals. This is because they are easy to conceal.

So, removing handguns from the general population would mean that anyone carrying a handgun will be committing a criminal act. No reason not to use rifles, shotguns or even some semi-automatic weapons for defence, but it would eventually reduce the supply of the type of gun that causes the most deaths.

Of course, because these are generally not the guns used in these mass shootings, such a notion is rejected. But, why does the US, have so many gin deaths if it isn't because of lax gun control?

I'm not pushing for change, by the way –-it's their problem. I'm not trying to solve it for the US before any of our friends across the pond choose to jump me for trying to remove their right to bear arms.

This is not a gun or weapon problem ... its a mental problem. Taking guns from honest, law-abiding citizens does not curb the violent aggression of those who want to make a statement, create terrorism or lash out at society. Stripping guns from a nation simply limits the ability of society members to defend themselves from mad people. Only crooks will have guns after honest people have surrendered them.

Furthermore, weapons help the citizenry defend themselves against tyrannical governments, as our Founding Fathers recognized by preserving our right within the Bill of Rights. Earth's history has seen a tremendous amount of nations falling to dictators and control freaks who disarmed the population first. I for one, don't want that to happen in the US.

While I have no fool-proof solution for stopping mass murders before they happen, I do know what to do to prevent further death and destruction at the onset of a killing event. Stop the aggressor dead in his tracks and make sure there are no other offenders left standing.

Of course and this is the argument that is trotted out by the NRA.

So a guy is lost and frightened and he knocks on a door. The response is a shot.
Another gun death.

An Aberdonian shot by a Texan.

What oddly is not mentioned by the NRA is the suicide rate and how many use guns.

Sorry but I have heard all the arguments over the years from gun loving oil men of American nationality and I have yet to hear a convincing one.

PH

This is not a gun or weapon problem ... its a mental problem. Taking guns from honest, law-abiding citizens does not curb the violent aggression of those who want to make a statement, create terrorism or lash out at society. Stripping guns from a nation simply limits the ability of society members to defend themselves from mad people. Only crooks will have guns after honest people have surrendered them.

Furthermore, weapons help the citizenry defend themselves against tyrannical governments, as our Founding Fathers recognized by preserving our right within the Bill of Rights. Earth's history has seen a tremendous amount of nations falling to dictators and control freaks who disarmed the population first. I for one, don't want that to happen in the US.

While I have no fool-proof solution for stopping mass murders before they happen, I do know what to do to prevent further death and destruction at the onset of a killing event. Stop the aggressor dead in his tracks and make sure there are no other offenders left standing.

And perhaps the mental problem is endemic? The current US Pres is a shining example.

Of course and this is the argument that is trotted out by the NRA.

So a guy is lost and frightened and he knocks on a door. The response is a shot.
Another gun death.

An Aberdonian shot by a Texan.

What oddly is not mentioned by the NRA is the suicide rate and how many use guns.

Sorry but I have heard all the arguments over the years from gun loving oil men of American nationality and I have yet to hear a convincing one.

PH

That would be suicides outnumber homicides by 2 to 1, that is from the Harvard school of health.

This is not a gun or weapon problem ... its a mental problem. Taking guns from honest, law-abiding citizens does not curb the violent aggression of those who want to make a statement.

Well, by your yardstick, we shouldn't be seeing any mass shooting in America.....
It doesn't happen here.
I was brought up with firearms, taught to handle them from an early age, I was an accredited firearms handler and trainer during my time in Customs and Border Agency.
I remember my grandfather telling me one thing which has stuck with me all my life...
Three kinds of people should not be allowed near weapons - Lunatics, children and Americans.

I remember my grandfather telling me one thing which has stuck with me all my life...
Three kinds of people should not be allowed near weapons - Lunatics, children and Americans.

I remember my grandfather telling me one thing which has stuck with me all my life...guns are made to kill!

Chons da

I dont think gun regulation is the place to start. I think it needs fear to be reduced in the US first. And that means a whole bunch of things need to be done that are against vested interests that are even larger than the NRA. Keep safe

I dont think gun regulation is the place to start. I think it needs fear to be reduced in the US first. And that means a whole bunch of things need to be done that are against vested interests that are even larger than the NRA. Keep safe

Simple solution would be to not sell ammunition, bullets/gunpowder etc etc?

Laws were changed in Australia after a terrible event in 1996. Well worth an internet search to see how the law was changed and the results of those changes.

Back