Off to the Heather

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A week to go now till I'll be bringing mine back off the moors - how have those with hives on the Yorkshire Dales got on?

No idea about the Dales...but those on the Yorkshire moors have done good. Western edges have now gone, all brown with very few patches of purple. Still in bloom in the middle and East. It's finished about 2 weeks earlier than last year....mind it started a week earlier.

No idea about the Dales...but those on the Yorkshire moors have done good. Western edges have now gone, all brown with very few patches of purple. Still in bloom in the middle and East. It's finished about 2 weeks earlier than last year....mind it started a week earlier.

Indeed...hearing stories from there of beeks with 6 to 9 supers a hive! or 4 full deeps. Drools enviously!

In contract hearing stories from other parts of no more than a super, often less.

Will settle for what I have.

Indeed...hearing stories from there of beeks with 6 to 9 supers a hive! or 4 full deeps. Drools enviously!

Most of the moorland hives I see on my travels are double brood at best....
6-9 supers....that I would like to see!
Best of mine has 5, 3 fully capped 2 so-so...although this may change.
For me it will be about the same harvest as the last 3-4 years have been. Good but not exceptional.

Drove over cefn bryn today and it was purple, I did not even know there was heather up there

"Good but not exceptional" indeed. That's my assessment having taken the heather harvest today from my 6 hives. Mix of partially and fully filled, 5 supers and 2 National broodboxes, used as supers per ITLD's advice last year (they do seem to have stored more honey crop than hives fitted with 2 supers, but n<32!)
But nowhere near the average that Murray and Hivemaker will take this year.

Very happy with the return on the effort this year, and took old beek friend and collected one hive of his (he wasn't going to continue seeking the heather after a hip replacement). I'm sure he enjoyed the trip and got a modest crop of heather honey). Good fun too, definitely will go again next year.

Very poor here, some have filled half a super but not worth the effort of putting them on moors. Happily had a bumber crop earlier, so can't complain too much.
Weather is very poor now and feeding, varroa treatments in a few weeks.
S

Heather honey sold well at yesterday's Conwy Honey Fair. One beekeeper from Anglesey had moved hives to the heather for the first time, to South Stack, and they's done well there.
I was pleased to hear him say that he'd found my notes on heather beekeeping useful. See https://tinyurl.com/n4xeq4b

This has been one of my best years. Took three hives up to the North York Moors at the end of July just as the heather was coming into flower. Brought them back last Sunday. Extracted 193lbs in total of top quality Ling, that's averaging 64lbs per hive! well pleased.

Paul.

This has been one of my best years. Took three hives up to the North York Moors at the end of July just as the heather was coming into flower. Brought them back last Sunday. Extracted 193lbs in total of top quality Ling, that's averaging 64lbs per hive! well pleased.

Paul.

I would be happy with that also, the good spots i have are in North Yorkshire too/ Melmerby/Swinside/Carlton and not far from West Witton i hope next year is half as good as yours for me with my first attempt on Heather.

Paul.
Where's the "like" button?
I'm fetching mine on the weekend and I'd genuinely be happy if I averaged half that.

Seems to be a very different story across the country.

SW is very good as is Yorkshire and elsewhere very mixed.

PH

First time actually getting to the Heather... am a convert ... loved the experience.

Brought 7 Hives .

Only got to it mid August and last 3 Hives a week later (due to family illness) .

Well pleased though 8 Supers of which 7 at least full . Great experience.

Would love to try and get also the earlier crop of Bell Heath additional to the predominantly Ling worked this year, found a location predominantly Bell so hopefully try that too next year

Lotta work but worth it.

Last edited:
Clearing the last 235 heather supers tomorrow and fetch them back on Tuesday...been another excellent heather season.

Do you do that alone?

Latest posts

Back