Oasis pad thymol dosage

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Enough
Does anyone know if it's ok to just let the oasis pads soak up as much mixture as they can, or whether it is literally 20ml max?

I ask because when I syringe the 20ml dosages into a tub to let the pads soak it up overnight, the top ones soak up more than the bottom ones. I was wondering if it were practical to just put the pads into the mixture batch and let them soak up as much as possible. Would be easier.

How big is the tub, and how big are the pads. Can they be put on end, next to each other rather than stacked?

Would be easier.

I have never found it difficult to just add 20ml to each individual pad,120 pads take about ten minutes, then each dose is accurate as it should be and is not an unnecessary waste of thymol either.

I have never found it difficult to just add 20ml to each individual pad,120 pads take about ten minutes, then each dose is accurate as it should be and is not an unnecessary waste of thymol either.

thought you said it's best to leave them 24hours?
in which case, they need to be sealed in something as they do not absorb the applied 20ml straight away. therefore when leaving them your suggested time, i find the bottom pads soak up more of this initial run off.

What bottom pad? There is only one pad per container/cut comb/sardine tin.

Does anyone know if it's ok to just let the oasis pads soak up as much mixture as they can, or whether it is literally 20ml max?

You are risking killing your bees if they are over-dosed.

I find that if I cut the oasis to size, lay them out on a strip of cling film, prick each pad all over with a fork down through half its depth the 20 ml of mixture will soak up easily. Then fold up into the clingfilm and keep in a sealed plastic container until required.
The recipe is very effective and although it does seem to cause a brood gap the bees tolerate it well.

Would you let your doctor dose you with 100% more or 80% less than the recommended amount?

If its 20ml that is what it is.

Truly could not be clearer surely?

PH

as above. 20ml is the dose.

i prefer using kitchen roll (easier given my schedules!!!) but have tried the oasis approach. just lay out the blocks on clingfilm or in a suitable container, dose each and leave to soak in).

kitchen roll approach - clingfilm/foil, folded towel, dose and repeat until you have enough in your stack for all your hives - just lift off a lay and place it "face down" on the frames - easy and fits under the plastic "crownboards" of polyhives (or straight under the roof but without direct contact with the poly due to the foil or clingfilm).

I put each oasis pad in a small plastic. I buy a roll of them and just squirt 20ml onto the pad and tie it up so it can soak in at its leisure. When I get to the apiary I know each bag contains exactly the does still. Doesn't take long.

I buy 8 plastic curry ect containers in the pound shop and put Oaisis or Kitchen roll one per tub.

Put in the 20ml and pop the lid on,then transport to hives or store for as long as neaded.

I use kitchen roll.

It absorbs the mixture so quickly, it does not necessarily need to be done in advance.

I carry a kitchen roll and a 20ml syringe with me and I dose each hive as I come to it.

I buy 8 plastic curry ect containers in the pound shop and put Oaisis or Kitchen roll one per tub.

Put in the 20ml and pop the lid on,then transport to hives or store for as long as neaded.

perfect. that makes more sense, thanks admin.

i had been putting the pads into a plastic ice cream container and squirting on the same number of dosages. but as they don't absorb it right away, some runs off and i was worried that where they overlap in the container, the bottom ones would soak up more and have a heavier dose and the top ones a lighter dose. your way makes more sense.

perfect. that makes more sense, thanks admin.

i had been putting the pads into a plastic ice cream container and squirting on the same number of dosages. but as they don't absorb it right away, some runs off and i was worried that where they overlap in the container, the bottom ones would soak up more and have a heavier dose and the top ones a lighter dose. your way makes more sense.

Has Jo tried this homemade recipe on his hives?

Hi Pete have I got this right on a double brood hive you place two treatments one on the top of the top bb and the 2nd between the two bb's.

Hi Tom,yes that is the correct way to add the pads.

Latest posts

Back