Nuc Boxes

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

opa

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
About to buy my first nuc box, is it preferable for it to have a mesh floor or not? Thank you.

It all depends.

I would say preferable as mesh floors can quickly/easily be covered.

Might just be slower(?) and slightly more difficult/costly to change the other way.

I always 'screw' rather than 'glue and nail' to keep my options open whenever I knock up a nuc, brood, floor or whatever.

Regards, RAB

There was a recent thread on nuc construction. Sumary of original.

Mine (only 3 in total mind) are mesh floor. Done on the basis that I can always close the floors on them in if I need to (ply board and gaffa), but I cant open them up. Varroa drop was prime consid, sound ventilation given nuc entrances can be quite small / closed for moving was the other. My hive stands have a side skirt so this acts as a bit of a wind break as well. Light top ventilation vis perspex crown boards with vent holes and roof spacing. Crude entrance adjustment desirable as well (open, half, closed). R

Last edited:
I would not want to over Winter Nucs on OMFs as nucs much more vulnerable to starvation and cold. I guess it depends why you want a nuc box. If it is just for doing splits in the Summer, OMF is ideal.

I have just bought one from Tom Bick. it has an OMF which can be closed off. It looks robust enough to overwinter. Anyway, open/closed gives you both options.

Latest posts

Back