Beekeeping Forum

Help Support Beekeeping Forum:

opa 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
wbc
Number of Hives
About to buy my first nuc box, is it preferable for it to have a mesh floor or not? Thank you.

oliver90owner 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
It all depends.

I would say preferable as mesh floors can quickly/easily be covered.

Might just be slower(?) and slightly more difficult/costly to change the other way.

I always 'screw' rather than 'glue and nail' to keep my options open whenever I knock up a nuc, brood, floor or whatever.

Regards, RAB

Rosti 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
There was a recent thread on nuc construction. Sumary of original.

Mine (only 3 in total mind) are mesh floor. Done on the basis that I can always close the floors on them in if I need to (ply board and gaffa), but I cant open them up. Varroa drop was prime consid, sound ventilation given nuc entrances can be quite small / closed for moving was the other. My hive stands have a side skirt so this acts as a bit of a wind break as well. Light top ventilation vis perspex crown boards with vent holes and roof spacing. Crude entrance adjustment desirable as well (open, half, closed). R

Last edited:

Polyanwood 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I would not want to over Winter Nucs on OMFs as nucs much more vulnerable to starvation and cold. I guess it depends why you want a nuc box. If it is just for doing splits in the Summer, OMF is ideal.

Erichalfbee 

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I have just bought one from Tom Bick. it has an OMF which can be closed off. It looks robust enough to overwinter. Anyway, open/closed gives you both options.