Not the usual suspect

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ape Resi

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
1 and a swarm
Hello all,
So far I have always bought hive equipment from the usual suspect. Has anyone got any pointers for a reasonably priced source of hive equipment I could check out? I'm not necessarily after the cheapest, I prefer to pay a bit more for some better qualiy stuff!

In particular I'm looking for a nuc box and frame material.
Thanks for reading!!

I like ******, *********** and *****

And Tom :D

wouldn't that defeat the point of censoring them to begin with?

I was poking fun at the sillyness of it.

For hives and associated parts, I'll stick with Tom despite not actually getting the boxes in the flesh until next week. Considering they're supplied pre-built and finished I think they're competitively priced compared to the main suppliers and the associated bits and bobs such as crown/clearer and dummy boards are cheaper and, I dare say probably better put together too.

Thanks! obviously I could always be PM those suppliers!! :)

To be less jokey about it now I've picked them up:

Ordered a couple of Nucs a little while back from Tom's Beehive Workshop which were delivered this week and they're things of beauty (click for larger image):

Cheaper than Maisemore's assembled Nucs too!

OMFs with removeable trays, held on with four screws if desired.

If I had one criticism, I'd raise the roofs a little higher to accomodate a feeder. There is some room but a little higher would be nice.

I think I'll put them on the mantlepiece instead of letting bees live in them :D

Thanks Tom, very happy.

As much as i love wood, the feel, the smell and the look of a new bit of wood. For Nuc boxes I would buy a Polly Nuc box. its warm and its easy to move around when its full of bees. Cheep too considering what a wooden one would cost.

Not quite the work of art that a wooden one looks, but in a fwe years time the Polly Nuc looks as good as the day you bought it. The wodden one will turn grey and look not so nice in a few years.

Pluss the bees dont have to work so hard to keep the polly nuc warm, letting them get on with more important things.

13027722662498_1.jpg

Winker,
you may have a point.
I shook an ailing small colony into a poly nuc yesterday as a make or break. They have massive chalkbrood and I suspect nosema as well. (a few spores seen on the slide)
They were the first out this morning

Latest posts

Back