Not a good start

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fionastennings

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
I started with my first hive last year.
Unfortunately, with loosing my mum & my aunt within 6 weeks of each other & then watching my step dad die of cancer over 3 months, my poor bees got neglected.
Finally, having the heart to get my butt in gear and going to check on them, I find the hive empty - even my bee have left me!! I give up!!

Unfortunately, with loosing my mum & my aunt within 6 weeks of each other & then watching my step dad die of cancer over 3 months, my poor bees got neglected.
Finally, having the heart to get my butt in gear and going to check on them, I find the hive empty - even my bee have left me!! I give up!!

That's so sad Fiona. But you had your priorities right during that time as the bees would look after themselves.
Clearly you still care about bees and I'm sure you don't really want to "give up". Going on the passion shown on this forum and the all-consuming interest and pleasure I have found in bees over the short time that I've been keeping them, they give a person a very strong direction and purpose which helps to moderate the ups and downs of existence. So I'm sure that restarting the hobby will put a bit of wind in your sails.
I'm too far away but would help you I could, but I have no doubt that there will be someone on this forum who will be able to help you get going again.
Take care, Peter

Multible swarming may have caused this, followed by the hive getting too weak to defend itself. I was ill a few years ago and lost half my hives. I didn't give up......nor should you! There are a lot of good, experienced people on here, so that should be comfort to you. Lincolnshire.....you have A E Thorne's as well! :D

Do not despair.
In 2015 I lost 6 out of 7 hives to disease.
I repopulated - with help from kind friends - and now can look back on it as a learning experience..

As said above, swarming may have helped but I have lost one hive and a nuc this autumn - overwhelmed by wasps. But bees in a good spring easily replace losses.

Try to find an experienced mentor.. makes a big difference . Sorry I am 100 miles away so words only..

So sorry to hear of your loss. I hope that perhaps a local forum member may be able to help you out. They did for me earlier in the year when I lost my bees to CBPV.
Best wishes, Emily

Come on folks..... Step up the challenge.....someone must be able to offer a nuc next spring. If you were nearer Somerset I would do my damdest to get you started again! chin up. You need bees to be able to tell them all your troubles and they will make you feel better!
E

Write off this year, don't dwell over it. Just pretend that next season is your 'year one'
Take the time to regroup, take your hive apart and see if any of the comb is salvageable (waxmoth may be an issue for comb stored overwinter) but to be honest, as you don't know what exactly happened to the bees, it's no great issue if the lot is written off.
Spend the winter months cleaning and preparing the hive for next year, read some more, shop in the online sales for more little goodies and to stock up on second quality frames and hive parts (you can never have too many), do some research and maybe even find a new colony to start off in 2021.

Good advice above Fiona. Try to think positively for planning next year; immerse yourself in preparing kit and as Enrico mentioned, use the bees as a form of therapy, as they will fully occupy your thoughts if you let them.
Whatever you do I really wish you all the very best and hope you can make contact with a beekeeper / mentor close to you.

I see you are in Lincs Fiona, I have four or five strong 6 frame nucs. They will be ok in a hive now if yours is in good condition, you can have one if you are not too far away. You would just have to feed. North Lincs or which town are you near?

I see you are in Lincs Fiona, I have four or five strong 6 frame nucs. They will be ok in a hive now if yours is in good condition, you can have one if you are not too far away. You would just have to feed. North Lincs or which town are you near?
And that is what I call a real gentleman. I do hope she reads your message and thanks from me, and I am sure many of the others, for at least offering.

Latest posts

Back