Nosema/Bee Ailments

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Forester Doug

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Sorry if you have already commented on this bee, but some members have suggested this bee may have nosema, at the very least it has some sort of ailment/parasite. I originally mistook it for a queen with its elongated abdomen and larger size than the other workers. Now looking back at it I see it is swollen, so much that the plates (see photo) of the exoskeleton are actually separating. Any advice welcome. Is this nosema? If not what? And how do I treat? Or is it a random anomaly/laying worker? It came from a hive that has recently had the queen die and a new virgin queen through emergency queen cells if that makes any difference.20201101_210508.jpg

Get some thymol emulsion into their feed
as above.
IF you have access to a microscope or have a microscopist in your bee association.. take 20 or so workers and crush up and look for the nosema animicules under the microscope.. quick search of google will show you how ( or send away a sample)
Chons da

What are the rest of them like? Bit strange for nosema to only affect a single bee.
Seemed to be just the one, I wasn't looking for them though, merely the queen, it could be that this one was the worst affected- to the point I mistook it for a queen, and others slipped under the radar

It looks like the bee has a swollen abdomen due to a distended rectum and unable for some reason to go out on a cleansing flight. Can occur with chronic bee paralysis syndrome 1 as well as Nosema. In the old days we saw it with Acarine but not seen any Acarine for decades.

Latest posts

Back