North Wiltshire Beekeepers

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peteinwilts

Drone Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Lots and lots
Last Wednesday, I lost my Falcon.

He was flying near Charlton near the B4040, when something caught his eye and went off in an Easterly direction towards Minety. He then vanished.

I often took my bird beekeeping with me whilst he's moulting, and has a mobile perch.
He therefore is used to me wearing a beesuit, and hanging around areas with hives.

The bird has telemetry, but the topography of the land makes it difficult to track him and the battery is likely to run out in the next few days, but he does wear a bell on his leg, so quite noticeable.

He has been AWOL before, and I think he tends to lose me, rather than me losing him.
If anyone in the North Wilts area is 'accosted' by a bird wearing a bell, could you please PM me.

Cheers
Pete

I thought he may have died by now (he is a desert bird and not waterproof)

He has just been on holiday. He was found (now 8 days later) 60 miles away near Weston Super Mare

Thanks for the PM's.

He is looking very well, but hungry. He was attracted to the Bird of Prey Centre

He has been missing for 8 days and has never caught anything, although did enjoyed harassing rooks and woodies. I have no doubt he has made a living (hopefully not on roadkill!)

He just needs a bit of feeding and pampering before getting him flight fit again.

new long range telemetry required!

I'll pop on a photo when I get him back tomorrow.

Really pleased to hear he's been found.

As promised!

Bird sat in my office here at work! safe and well (and now full!), and very glad to be back!

attachment.php

... and he is a Gyr\Saker

Attachments

• 20151106_165302.jpg
    20151106_165302.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 68
Full? By that crop I'd say stuffed!! ;)

So glad to see that you got him back; :hurray: it must have been a horrible week of waiting for you

I hope he doesn't make a mess on your floor ;-)

I use a plastic cement mixing tray as a 'drip tray' :)

Thanks all for the really nice comments. Although I get a groan when I cheesily say I like the birds and the bees, falconry and beekeeping make a very good mix.

My bird is allowed to fly over many of my apiary sites, and he is a good companion when going around the bees in Summer.

In Winter, he is a good companion and excuse to be in the countryside when the bees are tucked up in their hives..

Back