NOOBEE QUEEN PROBLEM?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rossbyjove

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
ONE
I have noticed a drop off in egg laying in my hive.
Couple of frames have a lot of brood and larvae.
Seven frames of honey and some pollen.
Just seems to be a drop off in the laying rate.
Also seeing what look like supersedure cells.
The bees are VERY calm and still bringing in pollen.
Have not seen the queen on the last few inspections but I suspect she hides in what I call 'undercomb'.
They have built comb on one frame away from the foundation so there is space behind for cells, it's not at all visible what's going on behind there.
I think I may have to replace that frame in early spring before they start up again.
I have been told to let them got on with it.
Would a new queen have time to mate so late in the season?

Attachments

• DSCF1076.JPG
    DSCF1076.JPG
    8.2 MB · Views: 1
  • DSCF1235.JPG
    DSCF1235.JPG
    7.3 MB · Views: 1
  • DSCF1242.JPG
    DSCF1242.JPG
    7.7 MB · Views: 1
  • DSCF1244.JPG
    DSCF1244.JPG
    7.4 MB · Views: 1
  • DSCF1249.JPG
    DSCF1249.JPG
    7.2 MB · Views: 1
A couple of good pictures would help.
7 brood frames full of honey now ?
Just put some pics up.
Had a whole lot more brood earlier on in the season.
The first pic is the 'undercomb' no idea whats going on behind there!

You don't 'have' to see the queen, look for eggs. Its perfectly normal to have an arc of honey/stores over the brood area, (like your pictures show) - is that what you mean by "Seven frames of honey and some pollen." ??
If that area of bulging comb in pic.1 really bothers you just trim it with a shop knife - shake the bees off the frame first though. Make sure all the frames are 'snugged' up bulging comb can happen because you inadvertently leave gaps ie changed the bee space.

You don't 'have' to see the queen, look for eggs. Its perfectly normal to have an arc of honey/stores over the brood area, (like your pictures show) - is that what you mean by "Seven frames of honey and some pollen." ??
If that area of bulging comb in pic.1 really bothers you just trim it with a shop knife - shake the bees off the frame first though. Make sure all the frames are 'snugged' up bulging comb can happen because you inadvertently leave gaps ie changed the bee space.
Yes

Hi Ross,
I see some cells with what looks like evidence of Sac brood, few opened cells with pointed larvae. The brood pattern is not particularly spotty though.
Lack of eggs and young larvae could well be a brood break, I'd consider just getting on with varroa treatment and look again in a couple of weeks.
The problem comb I would work towards the edge and get shot next year.

Yes I know not seeing the queen does not mean she is not there.
I also know that an arc of honey over the brood is normal but I do have several frames that are mostly honey.
The area of 'bulging' comb is where they have built it away from the foundation and they have space on the underside for cells and bee space.
Probably have eggs , larvae and capped brood on the side I can not see.
I make sure the frames are ALWAYS pushed together.
It is a budget hive from Thornes and I am wondering if the frames were second rate because this ought not to be happening.

Hi Ross,
I see some cells with what looks like evidence of Sac brood, few opened cells with pointed larvae. The brood pattern is not particularly spotty though.
Lack of eggs and young larvae could well be a brood break, I'd consider just getting on with varroa treatment and look again in a couple of weeks.
The problem comb I would work towards the edge and get shot next year.
There are young larvae there and cells that may well contain eggs but I am not good at spotting them.
I am expecting some Apiguard and Thymol crystals any day now from Thornes, should have received them by now but no response from the sales department so far.
Cheers.

Sometimes comb issues are through no fault as such, if the bottom bars pinch the foundation it can bulge a bit due to expansion. Weight of the bees on one side can pull the other side concave and then the fun begins. Sometimes the frame is twisted, I always check for this when I make my frames.
I cut away the start of something similar earlier in the year.
One of the reasons I don't use full cut comb sheets is so the weight of bees hanging on the wax keeps it straight.

Well my 'mentor' came round yesterday.
We did see the queen and she is a new one , the other having failed in some way I guess.
There is brood in all stages and the undercomb is caused by that particular frame having plastic foundation that came with the swarm in the Nuc and they obviously do not like it at all because they have only drawn about 3/4 on the other side as well.
A lot of wasps around now but they are not getting past the cohort of bees on the landing board.
All is well.

Latest posts

Back