NOD Apiary Products

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
A half-share in 6...ish
1.5 pages of BBKA news given over to an "article" by someone from the "NOD Apiary Products Bee Health Team" about "winter bees" - though actually about Varroa control, and actually a blatant advertisement for MAQS, without even the grace to mention that other treatment options are available

Maybe everyone else knows that NOD Apiary Products are the manufacturers of MAQS. I didn't, and the editor does not seem to have thought it worth a mention

Poor show, in my opinion

I am surprised that there are beekeepers out there and even more surprised that they are members of this forum that were not aware of who makes the various Varroa control products. Perhaps we ought to have a list of all available products with the manufacturers alongside to inform these beekeepers (or is this barred on the forums "no advertsiing" policy)

Last edited:
I am surprised that there are beekeepers out there and even more surprised that they are members of this forum that were not aware of who makes the various Varroa control products. Perhaps we ought to have a list of all available products with the manufacturers alongside to inform these beekeepers (or is this barred on the forums "no advertsiing" policy)
You must be very brand aware :coolgleamA:

I don't know who manufactures the product I've used for the last 5 years, or the different one that arrived in the post this morning, and I just read the label top to bottom.

1.5 pages of BBKA news given over to an "article" by someone from the "NOD Apiary Products Bee Health Team" about "winter bees" - though actually about Varroa control, and actually a blatant advertisement for MAQS, without even the grace to mention that other treatment options are available

Maybe everyone else knows that NOD Apiary Products are the manufacturers of MAQS. I didn't, and the editor does not seem to have thought it worth a mention

Poor show, in my opinion

Even more of a surprise if it turned out that NOD was owned by Monsanto or Bayer!:hairpull:

Yeghes da

"Advertorial" is the usual term. Editorial copy from commercial organisations that is printed in return for payment. It would normally have to be clearly flagged as advertising, except the regulations could make that marginal in this case. It may not have been paid for and BBKA News might not be within the regulations covering news stand magazines and the Advertising Standards Authority.

Editors on "volunteer" based publications are always in a difficult position in keeping up the supply of copy to fill a monthly publication. If readable articles come in, it's tempting to fill that blank space. If this article itself wasn't a paid insert, it's pretty clear NOD/MAQS has bought featured ad space for themselves in this and previous editions and their products are featured by other suppliers. Ethically, it really should carry a much more prominent flag that it is written by the promoters of MAQS.

Generally, it points us back to the underlying argument whether a BBKA monthly colour newsletter is worth the cost and if, as they insist, it is largely advertising supported, the area where editorial becomes influenced by advertising revenue is a dangerous one.

Last edited:
Editors on "volunteer" based publications are always in a difficult position in keeping up the supply of copy to fill a monthly publication. If readable articles come in, it's tempting to fill that blank space.
As it happens, I am just such an Editor, on an ad-funded publication. Happily my problem is usually lack of space not lack of copy, but I realise how lucky I am. I did in fact turn down a piece for the last edition on just these grounds. A degree of diplomacy needed when you are likely to meet the people concerned in the pub

I noticed the 'article' and wondered whether it should have been called an "advertising statement"
However like masterBK, I would expect most beekeepers to know where their chemicals came from.

Latest posts

Back