Hive Clean is Dead - Long Live VarroaMed?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charlievictorbravo

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
2 - 14x12
In an article in July's BBKA News (page 237), Jason Learner from the National Bee Unit summarises all of the approved bee medicines. On the end of the list is VarroaMed which, although approved, is not yet available in the UK. The manufacturer's name was not given

The list of ingredients was given as follows - Formic Acid, Oxalic Acid, Citric Acid monohydrate, Star Anise oil, Lemon oil, purified water and tincture of propolis.

I checked the ingredients listed on my half-used bottle of Hive Clean and found a remarkable similarity - water, Saccharose, Citric Acid, Oxalic Acid, Formic Acid, propolis extract, div. essential oils.

Did a google search for VarroaMed and, lo and behold, it's made by Beevital the former manufacturers of Hive Clean.

So, all of those who thought Hive Clean was a quick and simple hive "tonic" now know it was actually a treatment and had to be withdrawn so that it could be tested, renamed and re-issued as a treatment. In tests, it was only 80% effective at killing mites. It's such a simple treatment that I think I could live with that, if the price is right.

CVB

Don't be surprised to see an Api-Bioxal type price hike......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Just saying if it was withdrawn so they could get a treatment licence the exorbitant cost of the Licencing will be added to the cost to the customer.
As with apibioxal

I suspect the cost of Api-Bioxal pays for a lot more than the cost of licensing by the VMD ;)

Just sayin'

I suspect the cost of Api-Bioxal pays for a lot more than the cost of licensing by the VMD ;)

Just sayin'

Yeah you also have to pay for the value added glycerol that knackers the process of vaping and ruins your kit.....
Expensive stuff glycerol ;-)

I wonder when if the manufacturers of Buckfast Tonic wine will apply for a VMD licence... BA would approve... Bless him!

Yeghes da

I wonder when if the manufacturers of Buckfast Tonic wine will apply for a VMD licence... BA would approve... Bless him!

Yeghes da

Ha ha. Cures all known ills.......

.....and you promptly forget the ones it doesn't cure.

I was at the BBWear shop in Truro a couple of days ago and noticed they were selling Oxalic Acid that was not ApiBioxal. I asked whether they were allowed to sell the raw OA and was told that one manufacturer, in Italy, was an approved source of raw OA crystals. That was news to me - anybody ever heard of these approved Italian OA crystals - they must be better than what you can buy from yacht chandlers! This source of OA did not feature in the BBKA News article mentioned in post #1.

CVB

OA is a cleaning disinfecting product but legally if you are using it for trickling or vaping as varroa treatment in food producing animals you should use the approved licenced product which is apibioxal.

I am not sure, but I am sure we would have heard, if the VMD has tried to set legal precedent by prosecuting one of these cases.

OA is a cleaning disinfecting product but legally if you are using it for trickling or vaping as varroa treatment in food producing animals you should use the approved licenced product which is apibioxal.

I am not sure, but I am sure we would have heard, if the VMD has tried to set legal precedent by prosecuting one of these cases.

Looking down the " approved " list of products containing OA apibioxall do not seen to have a monopoly.

Anyone else trying rhubarb leaves?

Yeghes da

Latest posts

Back