No Loin, or Tigers, but BEARS oh my.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What the hell doe's bear sausage taste like? (besides bear) what's similar?

Got to taste better than Bald Eagle???

If you BBQd the meat would it taste like Smokey Bear???:ack2::ack2::puke:

What the hell doe's bear sausage taste like? (besides bear) what's similar?:)

Nothing is similar really, some people say pork, but in general bear is nasty, we make sausage out of the whole thing in order to kill the natural flavor with spices and make it palatable :D Like I said, I only hunt bear out of necessity. Bambi on the other hand is quite tasty, depending on the diet the flavor can range from a mild liver, to a fine beef steak. Good cooked rare with horse radish on the side.

>I am an avid hunter.

There will be tree hugging, city people on this site that are far removed from country life and the necessity of having to remove problem animals and nothing will convince them other wise.

I have had bear steak and it was tasty.

>I am an avid hunter.

There will be tree hugging, city people on this site that are far removed from country life and the necessity of having to remove problem animals and nothing will convince them other wise.

I have had bear steak and it was tasty.

I have lived in the country all my life, but i don't believe in killing my neighbour just because he is a problem. I don't agree with mass deforstisation either, so i guess im a tree hugger too.

Lets not forget the animal is only doing what its done for thousands of years...collecting Honey.

I think its ok to shoot the animal if its going to be used for survival and eaten. Its even ok to use its skin to keep you warm, as long as you killed it out of necessity.

Rule #1 in bear country, don't leave food lying around to attract the bears!

I am not having a go at sugarbush for having to kill the bear, i just think that his beekeeping may be the source of the problem of the bears coming into the area. 2 things bears will bypass anything to get too, Honey and Salmon. They will bypass the berries to get to honey, they will bypass other game to get to the Salmon.

A state vet should be called in for problem bears like this and the bear should be removed to another area many many miles away. But as sugarbush says there is no budget for this at this point in time.

The problem now is the bear knows it can get honey there and it will continue to come back. If it cant find honey it will search the area for other food sources, learning all the while. This puts other peoples life at danger and thus the bear will be killed.

Where does it stop? Next year another bear will learn sugarbush has Honey there...

sugarbush you can keep bees in sheds with a small opening in the roof to let the bees in and out. If you google it you will see that Finnish bee keepers make use of bee sheds rather well.

This would be one way of keeping bees without the bears becoming problematic. There may be other ways, but i don't think that killing the bear will solve the problem.

I don't think we have the right to put sugarbush down for killing a bear as we don't have to put up with bears (or most other predators) in this country. It is the way of life and nature where he lives. Put yourselves in his shoes. What would you do? Having read the posts on here some are very anti so until you/we encounter a similar problem you/we should shut up!

nosmoking said:
I don't think we have the right to put sugarbush down for killing a bear as we don't have to put up with bears (or most other predators) in this country. It is the way of life and nature where he lives. Put yourselves in his shoes. What would you do? Having read the posts on here some are very anti so until you/we encounter a similar problem you/we should shut up!
Unfortunately the bears have to put up with humans.
Take a look at the photos posted. Do you think that fence looks adequate to discourage a bear? IMO it wouldn't prevent sheep. There are certain procedures that should be followed and all of these should be centred around how not to encourage bears to come into contact with human dwellings and Sugarbush knows this.
Prevention is better than cure and most certainly true in this case, where the cure will be yet another dead animal.

Unfortunately the bears have to put up with humans.
Take a look at the photos posted. Do you think that fence looks adequate to discourage a bear? IMO it wouldn't prevent sheep. There are certain procedures that should be followed and all of these should be centred around how not to encourage bears to come into contact with human dwellings and Sugarbush knows this.
Prevention is better than cure and most certainly true in this case, where the cure will be yet another dead animal.

Is the bear going to pole vault over the fence? I certainly would not want to get zapped by an electric fence

Is the bear going to pole vault over the fence? I certainly would not want to get zapped by an electric fence

Hopefully the bear will come up to the fence, get a big bang on the nose, and realise that the fence is nasty. However the bear may go straight through the fence at a fair clip and wonder why his feet get all tingly.

It is the same as pigs. If you put a load of pigs into a field with an electric fence, they will be through it before they realise they have been shocked. If they have time to get used to it (electric fence with a solid fence behind it), then they will realise that the clicky netting thing HURTS.

Bambi and Bugs Bunny are delicious. Never had bear, but he'll make a damn fine rug.

Hopefully the bear will come up to the fence, get a big bang on the nose, and realise that the fence is nasty. However the bear may go straight through the fence at a fair clip and wonder why his feet get all tingly.

It is the same as pigs. If you put a load of pigs into a field with an electric fence, they will be through it before they realise they have been shocked. If they have time to get used to it (electric fence with a solid fence behind it), then they will realise that the clicky netting thing HURTS.

Bambi and Bugs Bunny are delicious. Never had bear, but he'll make a damn fine rug.

Google - 'bear shock' I would assume that it would give the bear quiet a belt considering that people are prepared to camp behind one of these fences somehow I dont think it would be a standard stock fence that we use in the UK

I am not going to fault anybody for their beliefs. Everybody is entitled to their opinion. We all come from different backgrounds and different life experiences.

Some people have the warm fuzzies for the bear because it is furry and children's books and movies animated it into a symbol that people love. You probably kill hundreds, if not thousands of bees every year, but their life is worth less to you. You exploit them for their labor without retribution... That is life, some things die so others can live...

I generally don't hunt bears, I like seeing a momma in the woods with two little cubs, it is fun to watch the cubs scurry up the nearest tree when their momma warns of my presence. I give bears a wide birth when I happen upon one in the woods... I have a respect for them as a predator and they naturally have the same respect for me. When they loose that respect that is when we have a problem.

No the bees aren't attracting the poor innocent bear out of the woods. there are many bears around that never leave the woods and visit a yard... The fear of humans keeps most of them away, but every now and then you get one that looses that fear.

sugarbush you can keep bees in sheds with a small opening in the roof to let the bees in and out. If you google it you will see that Finnish bee keepers make use of bee sheds rather well.

This would be one way of keeping bees without the bears becoming problematic. There may be other ways, but i don't think that killing the bear will solve the problem.

The shed in the picture was originally housing bees, but the last problem bear ripped the doors off and destroyed the hives, so then we parked the big green tractor in the pic against the doors of the shed and the bear used the bucket as a cozy seat to perch on while if ripped the tops of the doors off to get at the hives, that is when the hives went on the roof.

Yes the Fins do use bee houses quite well... They also bred the most effective means of controlling a bear; the Finnish bear dog. Run them down and kill them, that is the Finnish way ;)

Tried this in Estonia once :

Bear marinated in rare spices and cooked over a fire in honour of Waldemar II, the brave King of Denmark Also, cooked spelt cakes with herbs on the side

Quite heavy going but a good flavour

Latest posts

Back