No eggs in walkaway split - 33 days later

Beekeeping Forum

Help Support Beekeeping Forum:

ANDubuis 

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
No eggs in a walkaway split after 33 days now.

On day 29 of being queen less, I placed in two frames of eggs, brood and larvae in the centre of the brood nest.

4 days later, there are no queen cells.

Either they didn’t have the resources to rear the queen cells (nurse bees)? Or there may be a virgin / freshly mated queen that isn’t laying yet?

Which is most likely?

jenkinsbrynmair 

International Beekeeper of Mystery
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Too many - but not nearly enough
It's been just over a month since the split -say fifteen days of that was them making a Queen cell and the queen emerging, so you've only given the queen a fortnight to get mated? In this rather unsuitable weather? I'd wait another while

hemo 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
6-10
It could be up 4 or even 5 weeks before a Q come into lay, depends on local weather. If able keep supplementing with a frame of brood as the brood gives off pheromones. The signs are that a Q is present, patience is needed.

Ian123 

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
none
As above, given the response to the test frame it likely there’s a virgin running about. Give them a while maybe another week or 2 and add another frame if needed.

mbc 

Queen Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
I went big and put over a hundred virgins out before the end of April, banking on mid May bringing a decent patch of mating weather, I'm still biting my nails waiting for it as these poor virgins edge closer to their use by date.
The vagaries of a maritime climate 🤔

Curly green finger's 

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Over 20
I went big and put over a hundred virgins out before the end of April, banking on mid May bringing a decent patch of mating weather, I'm still biting my nails waiting for it as these poor virgins edge closer to their use by date.
The vagaries of a maritime climate 🤔
From the 20th ish onwards its getting better.

Edit: the longest I've waited for a virgin to mate and get laying was last year she went beyond 6 weeks.

If you find they are not queen right I would think about buying a queen to speed things up abit. ( to the op).

Last edited:

Swarm 

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
more than 30, less than 100.
Waiting on just six early ones, everything on stop since.

BugsInABox 

Field Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
tbh
Number of Hives
Had a look at my walkway this morning. The emergency cell Id been keeping an eye on was empty. How often do they re-seal them?

Ian123 

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
none
Had a look at my walkway this morning. The emergency cell Id been keeping an eye on was empty. How often do they re-seal them?
Quite often cells get re sealed after emergence and often with a worker stuck inside. Ian