No eggs in walkaway split - 33 days later

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ANDubuis

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
No eggs in a walkaway split after 33 days now.

On day 29 of being queen less, I placed in two frames of eggs, brood and larvae in the centre of the brood nest.

4 days later, there are no queen cells.

Either they didn’t have the resources to rear the queen cells (nurse bees)? Or there may be a virgin / freshly mated queen that isn’t laying yet?

Which is most likely?

It's been just over a month since the split -say fifteen days of that was them making a Queen cell and the queen emerging, so you've only given the queen a fortnight to get mated? In this rather unsuitable weather? I'd wait another while

It could be up 4 or even 5 weeks before a Q come into lay, depends on local weather. If able keep supplementing with a frame of brood as the brood gives off pheromones. The signs are that a Q is present, patience is needed.

As above, given the response to the test frame it likely there’s a virgin running about. Give them a while maybe another week or 2 and add another frame if needed.

I went big and put over a hundred virgins out before the end of April, banking on mid May bringing a decent patch of mating weather, I'm still biting my nails waiting for it as these poor virgins edge closer to their use by date.
The vagaries of a maritime climate 🤔

I went big and put over a hundred virgins out before the end of April, banking on mid May bringing a decent patch of mating weather, I'm still biting my nails waiting for it as these poor virgins edge closer to their use by date.
The vagaries of a maritime climate 🤔
From the 20th ish onwards its getting better.

Edit: the longest I've waited for a virgin to mate and get laying was last year she went beyond 6 weeks.

If you find they are not queen right I would think about buying a queen to speed things up abit. ( to the op).

Last edited:
Had a look at my walkway this morning. The emergency cell Id been keeping an eye on was empty. How often do they re-seal them?

Latest posts

Back