No Bees...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daj198

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
One of my hives had bees flying in and out of just a couple of weeks ago, looking very active and healthy. I checked them yesterday and there are no bees left. No signs of Varroa, EFB or AFB. They still have plenty of capped honey that they could have eaten so it wasn't starvation. Some wax, however appears to be eaten- wax moth? I can't see any moths though.

Any advice would be very much appreciated. I can post photos if that would help.

Thanks

Hi Daj

Could it be that the bees that you saw flying in and out were robbing your dead hive? If it's a goner, seal it up until you can get a full diagnosis of the problem as if it is diseased, the robbers could spread infection. Your Bee Inspector should be happy to assist if any doubt remains.

No dead bees on the floor?
I once had a hive that just disappeared like this. It was a goof hive with a good queen in lay. I suggested on this site that i thought it was ccd but was shot down in flames.
The obvious thing though is that you had an unfertilised queen or no queen over winter. Eventually they just had no New bees coming in so they just dwindled away.
Start again. Put it down to experience.....so sorry for you.... Hopefully someone will donate a nuc... I would if I was closer
E

Sorry about your bees daj198 - post the photos, the sharper-eyed amongst us might just spot something significant

Hi everyone

Thank you for your advice and condolences... I've been mourning them. At least I've still got the other colony.

I've sealed up the hive to prevent transmission of any disease. There were a few (15 is) dead bees in the gaps between the frames (on the runners). No significant number of dead bees on the floor... Just a lot of chewed up wax. I'll try to post a photo.

I'm wondering whether it would be a good idea to split my remaining colony later in the year and requeen with a buckfast or something so that I've got a bit more genetic variation in case of disease. Good idea?

Hmmm - neither a good nor a bad idea - not really relevant to the current problem. It's true that you are running in a precarious position with only one colony but there are many options available to you for making increase (Buckfast or not, I'd be more inclined to get to the bottom of the colony demise first of all).

Robbed bees will sometimes join the robbers once the battle is lost !
VM

Sorry to hear your news. I would not plan to split deliberately, but if queen cells are produced then I would take the opportunity to remove the queen and 3 frames and raise a new queen. I would also bait hive to achieve expansion and only consider a purchased nuc as a late season back stop. Its unfortunate but you are still in the game and potentially/probably able to make gain without expense. If you do split for swarm control you can reflect on your options anyway. The bait is a shot to nothing but ive always had good success. Good luck.

Ok, I managed to get some photos. On one you'll see some mould, would you say this is an indication of nosema?

IMG051.jpg

IMG052.jpg

IMG054.jpg

IMG056.jpg

Last edited:
Oh, maybe I got my Dropbox settings wrong. Hang on...

Ok, The photos work now... Not sure what's up with the grey lines though.

Last edited:
Massive disturbance by rodents...........this colony's combs are a mess anyway..and now they have been all chewed at by mice.

The constant disturbance of a mouse inside the hive can in itself lead to the demise of the colony by spring.

Chop out the chewed combs, rewax, repopulate, and make sure you secure the hive against mice before first frost next winter.

There is no indication of nosema, but one or two of the cells that have been bred in in the wild drone comb ictured are discoloured in an uneven pattern, in particular the bottom 'side' of the cell as it would be hanging in the hive. Its a long shot that there is anything wrong but the pics are not close enough of these cells to say if this is 'scale' or not. 95% not, but maybe get an experienced eye just to have a look for you.

Last edited:
ITLD is spot on. You can see the droppings on the floor debris. Mice can wreak havoc.
Lesson learnt for next winter.
Cazza

I have had mice in a hive and the devil only chewed a little bit of comb but what a mess. live and learn.

Baggy

Thanks. I'm so glad it was mice because at least they can't spread to the other hive via robbing bees! As you say, lesson learnt. I'll make sure that it's properly rodent-proof this winter.

Hi Daj198
Just out of curiousity did you not have a mouse guard on this hive over winter??

Ooops and there endth the lesson. sorry for your loss

Latest posts

Back