No bees at the ball

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SwiftOtter

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
We have kept our bees in a college which so far has worked really well - they are in a secure site with good access, lots of forage over most of the year in their grounds, water readily available and the college have been very supportive.

However my beekeeping partner who works at the college has just got in touch to ask whether we should block up the entrance tomorrow during the annual college May ball (which they always have in June for some reason). He is worried in case the bees get spooked by the bass - it seems these balls all have a sound system these days. The ball starts at 9pm and goes on pretty much all night although they normally pipe down about 1 ish. I have heard of bees swarming over nearby tractors and other farm machinery in response to the wrong vibrations. The ball is about 100m away, but basslines do carry.

He is naturally concerned that the bees don't go streaming out to protest about their choice of music, and given that we have such a good spot for 364 days of the year I am inclined to agree. I expect some late returning bees will be trapped outside but perhaps we need to accept this. Or are we worrying about nothing? Maybe they'll enjoy it.

Cheers
Chris

Oh, I didn't know I could keep bees there, what a marvellous idea. Clearly my four years were wasted (or wrong college, teehee). Personally have no experience of loud music disturbance, and can't make a very good educated guess. They are not next to the speakers, are they? And people won't be walking right past? It's a rubbishy earthquake equivalent otherwise. (I would have thought they'd go off to bed and not care too much, but will keep an eye on this thread to find out!)

No harm closing them up in the evening, and opening in the morning.
I'd suggest putting a strap around the hive "just to be sure" if they are in any way accessible.

And its a rubbish May Ball that goes off the boil after 1am.
No stamina these days ...

No harm closing them up in the evening, and opening in the morning.
I'd suggest putting a strap around the hive "just to be sure" if they are in any way accessible.

And its a rubbish May Ball that goes off the boil after 1am.
No stamina these days ...

Totally agree.

Even move them a bit further if possible..

It is rumoured that students have been known to drink too much and do very silly things..

They are accessible in theory, but pretty out of the way. My only experience of May Balls was flogging them vast amounts of booze many years ago. They aren't next to the speakers or in a very likely location for anyone to go to so I'm sure it will be fine but best to cover ourselves like you say. Good tip about the strap - protect the bees from drunken revelers too.

Thanks for the advice I'll let you know if they survive the night unscathed! One of the stranger risks to consider when keeping bees in Cambridge...

- protect the bees from drunken revelers too.

Thanks for the advice I'll let you know if they survive the night unscathed! One of the stranger risks to consider when keeping bees in Cambridge...

Knowing students, after a few beers they will jump off anything ... mainly if there is water underneath !! Better safe than sorry though ... strap the girls up and lock 'em in ... probably a good idea for all fathers in Cambridge when there's a May ball anyway !!!

Well they seemed OK this morning and no posh girls in big frocks got stung so I guess I was worrying about nothing!

Choice of music

Perhaps they should play Bee Bop??? Or something by the Bee Gees... or The Honeyz

Just saying, like!!!

:icon_204-2:

Back