Nitriles for leather

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fatbee

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Having ditched the leather gloves for nitriles a few weeks ago I can't believe I never did it sooner. So much easier doing manipulations. Thought I was always careful but bees seem so much calmer since I have changed (weather has been better though for inspections).

For those a little hesitant like I used to be toughen up and try - what's the worse that can happen....

Just realised my post title makes no sense - apologies! But don't think I can edit it

Last edited:
Always used nitriles. Wife bough me some lovely leather gloves with sleeves and the bees went nuts trying to sting them.

Always used nitriles. Wife bough me some lovely leather gloves with sleeves and the bees went nuts trying to sting them.

I got some leather when I started but use them for swarms "just in case". Otherwise marigolds if I have to, but usually bare handed.

So much easier when you can feel what's happening.

Always used a think pair of washing up gloves, never had a sting get through them. I've seen two bees try over the years, but they never got through, and you can feel easily. The one time I did brave a pair of nitriles, I was surprised by the heat from the frames, but went back as I was a bit twitchy. I'm happier in the washing up gloves.

Use some cotton cuffs or sleeves to protect your wrists as those intent on trying to sting tend to go for my wrists.
Also was bought a bottle of this for my birthday and it make changing nitriles a doddle.
image.jpg

I use cornflour instead of baby powder inside the gloves because it is unscented and I have had bees get stingy if I'm wearing anything that has a strong smell. I use buckets of washing soda at my apiaries to wash hive tool and gloves so nitrile or rubber gloves are the only way to go, I have not used leather ones for years.

I am a fan of nitriles. This lot don't fit quite as nicely as the last lot - same size but different brand. But still a million times better than even washing up gloves.

Anything's better than leather or great big thick rubber gloves for normal bee handling. Even out in Africa (where I was told the bees were vicious :icon_204-2:) the leather gloves were soon consigned to pocket and bare hands were the norm. Just keep leather gloves handy now for visitors or for extremely hostile colonies where gentle handling makes not a jot of difference.

Jbm your signature quote has appeared in the fb group, credited to yourself of course. You is famous! :D

Every now and then, with hive 2, I consider taking my gloves off, then change my mind again lol, I'm not quite ready to leave my cocoon ;) I don't know why the thought crosses my mind because I do perfectly well with the gloves on, they are just so quiet! If I were to ever brave going without gloves, this is the colony to do it. Maybe one day.

If you do decide to go gloveless, you WILL be stung.

How often and how painfully depends on the bees and luck.. and what tolerance you have to bee venom.
I find the most painful of hand stings are those on the back of the hand near a vein. I carry a tube of Asda sting cream (1% hydrocortisone) for the rare ones that start to swell up...

In most cases like this morning, the 4 stings I received - from my "naughty" hive # when cutting grass (!!) - have been mere annoyances.

# to be requeened.

I've gone back to leather. Sick of finger rot and squelching gloves full of sweat. Each to their own and all that but enough of this can't feel rubbish, there's leather gloves and leather gloves.

Use some cotton cuffs or sleeves to protect your wrists as those intent on trying to sting tend to go for my wrists.
Also was bought a bottle of this for my birthday and it make changing nitriles a doddle.
View attachment 13136
Nitriles and talcum powder is certainly the way to go. Whenever I have had to go gloveless through no choice of my own, I always get stung so much I cannot carry on with inspection.

Nitriles and talcum powder is certainly the way to go. Whenever I have had to go gloveless through no choice of my own, I always get stung so much I cannot carry on with inspection.

I find the secret to gloveless:
1. Avon Skin So Soft - liberally applied.
2. Very slow movements, take hold of bars with great care.Feel for bees under bars as you grasp.
3. Gently smoke entrance and wait 3-4 mins before opening up.

But I give up and use nitriles after 4-5 stings - or an aggressive hive. Or marigolds for very aggressive.

And for complex manipulations - nitriles .. I know I am going to be stung so no point in being brave.

I find the secret to gloveless:
1. Avon Skin So Soft - liberally applied.
2. Very slow movements, take hold of bars with great care.Feel for bees under bars as you grasp.
3. Gently smoke entrance and wait 3-4 mins before opening up.

But I give up and use nitriles after 4-5 stings - or an aggressive hive. Or marigolds for very aggressive.

And for complex manipulations - nitriles .. I know I am going to be stung so no point in being brave.

Do you find that the nitriles make the stings less painful? I use them just because they keep my hands clean. I assumed they were too thin to reduce stings.

I use the 'Rhinocerous' gloves that Sherriff sell, they are very soft and supple. The next thing you do is buy a pair that are a size too small. I did a Demarree on the weekend and did three passes on the brood frames before I found the queen and also moved all the frames into two new Swientys, plus the frames out of two Paynes supers and into wooden supers so a lot going on. One bee was determined to die and threw herself on the frame runner at precisely the wrong time, nothing to do with clumsiness.
You can keep the gloves clean by wearing vinyls on top. Best of all, your hands are not a mess afterwards.

Latest posts

Back