nicot cell cups

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

betterbee

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
what is the best way to transport charged nico cups without bees on 10 minuet walk to cell starter hive

Very carefully, facing upwards, in a dampish cloth.
I transport mine in a frame, ready to go straight in to the builder, so there is no fannying around at the cell builder end, and usually I lay the whole frame on the frame I’ve just grafted from.
The cups go in first, of course. The larvae frame second.
I’ve had mine out for over an hour with no noticeable drop in accepted cells. I graft of an evening here, often it’s the warmest and calmest part of the day!
Just don’t let them get too cold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has anyone tried the cheaper imitation nicot rearing kits?

Has anyone also put the cup cell from the nicot directly in to a queen lees colony instead of using a cell bar?

Has anyone tried the cheaper imitation nicot rearing kits?

Has anyone also put the cup cell from the nicot directly in to a queen lees colony instead of using a cell bar?

Just trying a £9.99 Chinese version now but not that hopeful. Put cup cage in with bees for 3 days & they drew some nice comb around it. Put Q in for 2 days then due to poor weather on Thursday just pulled the plugs to let the Q out. Went in today (4 days since Q placed in) & found very few eggs in there, I’m sure the workers were busy clearing the cups out? Meanwhile Q was out and busy laying up frames as normal. Just managed to find 10 cups with eggs for the cell builder colony. Will check in next week.

Just trying a £9.99 Chinese version now but not that hopeful. Put cup cage in with bees for 3 days & they drew some nice comb around it. Put Q in for 2 days then due to poor weather on Thursday just pulled the plugs to let the Q out. Went in today (4 days since Q placed in) & found very few eggs in there, I’m sure the workers were busy clearing the cups out? Meanwhile Q was out and busy laying up frames as normal. Just managed to find 10 cups with eggs for the cell builder colony. Will check in next week.

Just graft, its not that difficult and you choose when you want to do it, give it a go. My tip is when you buy the Chinese Grafting tools, thin them down to make them more flexible.

Biggest advantage with grafting is if it all goes tits up you can go again straight away without having to cage queens and faff about.

I was going to ask the same question as the OP as I have apiaries which can be up to 30mins apart.
I have made a 12v incubator that can be plugged into my van power supply and maintain 35degC with 50% RH. Would this be ideal for transportation?

Attachments

• IMG_18.jpg
    IMG_18.jpg
    598.3 KB · Views: 27
I have driven grafts three and a half hours wrapped up in a damp towel. Worked fine.

PH

That certainly sounds easier than my solution :)

I was going to ask the same question as the OP as I have apiaries which can be up to 30mins apart.
I have made a 12v incubator that can be plugged into my van power supply and maintain 35degC with 50% RH. Would this be ideal for transportation?

I have one of the larger (8*18) Carricell units. Your wooden one will do much the same sort of thing if you can maintain the temperature. I doubt you can control the RH in a wooden box but a tray of water in the bottom should be enough

I have one of the larger (8*18) Carricell units. Your wooden one will do much the same sort of thing if you can maintain the temperature. I doubt you can control the RH in a wooden box but a tray of water in the bottom should be enough

Temperature is not a problem as it has a 50w heater which is big for a box that size, I have a separate thermometer/humidity unit in the lid and it seems to stay somewhere between 50-60 RH I can increase to about 75 with a spray of water onto the inside.

poly, when you transported your grafts were they facing upwards on a cell bar
wrapped up or on a frame facing up and wrapped up. Thanks.

Temperature is not a problem as it has a 50w heater which is big for a box that size, I have a separate thermometer/humidity unit in the lid and it seems to stay somewhere between 50-60 RH I can increase to about 75 with a spray of water onto the inside.

That's perfect for cells.

Latest posts

Back