NHS Covid App

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is though a problem. We paid our parents pensions on a background of reasonable confidence of increased general affluence.

There is though a problem. We paid our parents pensions on a background of reasonable confidence of increased general affluence.
It is an interesting conundrum ... we are all working longer ... I'm 70 and still in full time employment but I stopped paying National Insurance at 65 and I collect my state pension ... We are all living longer - I worked for the last census and the dramatic increase over the last 40 years in the life expectancy in the UK and the vast numbers now living well into their nineties and beyond shook me ... Decreasing numbers of jobs because post covid - life will be different - a huge national debt as a result of covid - a national health service that keeps us alive well beyond the point where you would put an animal down and medical technology that costs a fortune designed to diagnose and cure the ailments that would have killed our grandparents years before ... an ever increasing population but a reducing tax revenue. ...

I really do hope that our young people have the initiative, the creativity, the desire and the drive to make this country the wealthiest in the world - because, if they don't, we are going to see Britain relegated to a third world society that makes the present poor in the UK look like they are rolling in clover. If the ones WITH a social conscience get fed up of paying for those who have none there is only one guaranteed outcome ...they will leave ... and where will our socially inept elements of society end up then ?

I hope they all have the ability to look into the future ....it doesn't take a crystal ball ...

Testing seems to be pretty hit and miss. My mother app;lied for a test as was showing symptoms, I had to give all sorts of details for her online as she is not on the net (how others without internet do it I don't know). She drove all the way to the test center and the wait was soooo long, she ended up turning round and went home.
THEN - the result came through - POSITIVE!!!
I think all that money spent is well worth it - they have a psychic service!

Testing seems to be pretty hit and miss. My mother app;lied for a test as was showing symptoms, I had to give all sorts of details for her online as she is not on the net (how others without internet do it I don't know). She drove all the way to the test center and the wait was soooo long, she ended up turning round and went home.
THEN - the result came through - POSITIVE!!!
I think all that money spent is well worth it - they have a psychic service!

Unbelievable - and altogether too believable.
In Mid Wales, this?

There was I thinking this was a beekeeping forum !!!
Not wishing to dampen the spirit of the thread - wherever you live in the country it’s easy to look at certain people/groups and point them out for blame: the reality is that ANYONE who disregards the common sense advice is to blame whether that’s a group of students at university or individuals drifting round supermarkets without a care in the world. Now can we talk about bees again

Yes I'm frustrated at the numbers of young people attending raves with absolutely no regard for social distancing.

But I'm also frustrated at the numbers of older (supposedly wiser) people who are equally doing their bit to keep the virus going. Standing around in groups in the supermarket aisles having the usual catch-ups they always did. Meeting their mates down the pub. Are they immune from catching Covid from their mates, only from strangers??

There were plenty of older people in with the younger people on the crowded beaches this summer. The only reason you don't see any Zimmers is because they're a bit difficult to push on the sand!

It's not just the young. It's all age groups doing what they've always done, not modifying their behaviour to adapt to the new circumstances. And blaming the other age groups for the ongoing mess.

There was I thinking this was a beekeeping forum !!!
Not wishing to dampen the spirit of the thread - wherever you live in the country it’s easy to look at certain people/groups and point them out for blame: the reality is that ANYONE who disregards the common sense advice is to blame whether that’s a group of students at university or individuals drifting round supermarkets without a care in the world. Now can we talk about bees again

What is this 'Common sense' thing you talk about? :LOL:

Well I popped into Aberystwyth Morrison’s to collect one of those food saving “magic boxes” ( but that’s another story 😂😂😂😂)
Any time I got anywhere near anybody they jumped back as if I was a Leper. Maybe it was me?

Yes I'm frustrated at the numbers of young people attending raves with absolutely no regard for social distancing.

But I'm also frustrated at the numbers of older (supposedly wiser) people who are equally doing their bit to keep the virus going. Standing around in groups in the supermarket aisles having the usual catch-ups they always did. Meeting their mates down the pub. Are they immune from catching Covid from their mates, only from strangers??

There were plenty of older people in with the younger people on the crowded beaches this summer. The only reason you don't see any Zimmers is because they're a bit difficult to push on the sand!

It's not just the young. It's all age groups doing what they've always done, not modifying their behaviour to adapt to the new circumstances. And blaming the other age groups for the ongoing mess.
(y) you have highlighted the issue perfectly................."all age groups doing what they've always done, not modifying their behaviour to adapt to the new circumstances. And blaming the other age groups for the ongoing mess." It must be a human condition or maybe just an english one, whatever, it's been going on for years in various guises of course.

Any time I got anywhere near anybody they jumped back as if I was a Leper. Maybe it was me?
Nope - that's Aberwristwatch for you - always been like that, way before Covid, it's taken generations of selective inbreeding to get to that point 😁 :icon_204-2:

Nope - that's Aberwristwatch for you - always been like that, way before Covid, it's taken generations of selective inbreeding to get to that point 😁 :icon_204-2:
I nearly went to University there ... do you think they put the University halls at the top of the hill when all the pubs (and there were a LOT of pubs in those days) were down at the bottom of the hill deliberately ? Didn't discourage me and the other applicants a great deal as I recall ... mind you the train journey from South Yorkshire via Crewe and Shrewsbury and then the milk train through mid Wales took about 16 hours and that did put me off a bit ... Aberystwyth was one of three points in the UK furthest from my mother .. Aberdeen and Portsmouth were the other two ... and that's how I ended up down here in the Costa del Fareham ... and then when my Dad retired ... they moved down here !

I nearly went to University there ... do you think they put the University halls at the top of the hill when all the pubs (and there were a LOT of pubs in those days) were down at the bottom of the hill deliberately ? Didn't discourage me and the other applicants a great deal as I recall ... mind you the train journey from South Yorkshire via Crewe and Shrewsbury and then the milk train through mid Wales took about 16 hours and that did put me off a bit ... Aberystwyth was one of three points in the UK furthest from my mother .. Aberdeen and Portsmouth were the other two ... and that's how I ended up down here in the Costa del Fareham ... and then when my Dad retired ... they moved down here !
Parents home was Hertfordshire
I got a place at London vet school and Glasgow 😃

A long time ago. Boyfriend and I bought a top floor flat in Maryhill for £400 and had it compulsory purchased for 5 grand five years later. We spent a lot of time loch lomond side. It’s a busy and intensive course with little time for carousing
I worked holidays on Skye before the bridge and that was a truly wonderful place then.

As far away from Home Counties as I could get.
We have a lot in common ... if there was a Uni on the Isle of Wight I would have applied there ! I was 250 miles from home but I reckon Hertfordshire to Glasgow was nearer 350 in the days before the motorways ... :)

Latest posts

Back