Newby saying hi

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob38

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
None yet!
Hi All

Decided to take the plunge after talking about it for the last couple of years. Based in East Yorkshire and currently at the point of reading all I can find before finding a mentor in the local area. Reading through the forum it seems like the basics straight forward enough but there's a lifetime of learning to be done.

Last edited:
I agree with Enrico.
If you do go ahead it's best to have two hives rather than one: If one fails you still have the other; no two colonies are the same so two = faster learning curve; there are occasions when a strong colony can be used to donate brood or stores to help the weaker one.

Before you order or buy anything. Get hands on in the spring with bees in a hive. It just might not be for you! Hope it goes well though and welcome!
I agree, I'll never forget the look on a guys face at a teaching apiary when after spending £1000+ on his potential post retirement hobby he couldn't bring himself to put his hands in a box of 50000 stinging insects!

Before you order or buy anything. Get hands on in the spring with bees in a hive. It just might not be for you! Hope it goes well though and welcome!
:iagree: had a beginner a few years ago, attended all the classes throughout the winter, turned up for the first spring apiary inspection, joined in with everyone else, then at the end of the session as everyone was getting ready to go home he said "thanks for all this, I've really enjoyed, I'm glad I did the course, I'm also glad I listened to you about doing the practicals before taking the plunge though, this is not for me, goodbye"

Totally agree on not buying all the gear, so far have picked up a suit and that's all. I've been exposed to bee keeping before, My mum and Stepdad had a couple of hives but gave them up when they moved, had a small hand on a couple of hive inspections when visiting and always found it amazing. I'm hoping to spend next year learning some of the skills needed before going the whole hog and laying out to much cash

:welcome:

I liked my first month of practical lessons so much I bought bees there and then.
Roller coaster at times but great fun and you meet lots of interesting people.

So far have got hold of a suit, other than gloves I don't plan on buying anything else until I've gained some experience with a mentor. I've been around hives before, my mum and dad had hives before they moved house. I'm already scoping out places that I may be able to keep a couple of hives(with permission of course) expect plenty of questions some of them may even be sensible !

Welcome to the forum, Rob. Good luck!

What's the best type to buy? I've got a few boxes of nitrile gloves but know how easily they tear, would love to know what other people wear

:iagree: - but also have elasticated gauntlets to cover the upper glove and lower sleeve of your bee suit. Bees love to burrow into any gap. Wrists and ankles are their favourite!

I have been considering this because the fit of my bee suit around the wrist isn't the best. I'm certain it's fine for most people, but as I've mentioned elsewhere I don't really fit the "beekeeper norms" when it comes to bee suits.

Unfortunately most places I've remembered to check don't appear to give the actual range over which the gauntlets will fit, or just have one size or, as on one site, say "one size fits most". Not exactly helpful :(

I have a similar problem with some gloves with built-in gauntlets: they can be too big for my hands whilst not being large enough to fit around my forearm.

I suspect that the sensible solution is actually to get someone more competent than me to remake the cuff of the suit so it fits properly in the first place.

James

Wrist gauntlets are easy to make. A tube of material to suit the length you need. Elastic either end, tighter at the wrist and looser round the arm.

I still like my leather gloves for the very odd time they’re needed, the hygiene issue is much over hyped. But have also found these are great for general use just keeping the crap off your hands. There actually a good fit being an elasticated base with a good rubber coating over fingers/palm areas. Plenty strong enough to prevent stings if you grab a hand full of bees on the side of a box, sensitive as any marigolds and no sweating.Decorators Gloves | Toolstation

Last edited:
Plenty of options then, I think it's a case of what works best. Thanks for all the input, I've been reading through the forum and found loads of really useful stuff. Can't wait for the spring!

Latest posts

Back