Newbie reporting for duty

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walter_foxhat

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Afternoon all.
I'm new to the bee keeping game. Have got 3 new hives but I've still to decide
on which queens to buy. Any info would be great. Had a look at beckys beezzz
for queens, anyone had experience with them?
Ta.

Funny....I originally thought that was all you needed to make a hive. Buy the queen and let her lay eggs. Those were the days when I just wanted a 'few' bees in my garden. Oh how steep was that learning curve!!!
I have to say Walter......your message fills me with panic! As Veg says.....are you getting bees with the queens?
E

Wasps, Mason bees, and Bubble bees can start from just a queen so it's a shame you can't start from one honey bee to full size hive, it would be a great project to watch develop. Hmmm, what would be more awesome would be a Bombus Bombus Swarm :icon_204-2: sorry going off topic.

Welcome bee-smillie

google the bee man no imports british bred queens

Hi Walter and :welcome: but I think you need to do a bit of reading before you buy your Queens.

Tim :welcome:

Afternoon all.
I'm new to the bee keeping game. Have got 3 new hives but I've still to decide
on which queens to buy. Any info would be great. Had a look at beckys beezzz
for queens, anyone had experience with them?
Ta.

Hi Walter, Welcome to the forum, I have just joined myself today.

Yep best bet is to get local bees from a local beekeeper, maybe the second year look at different breeds etc after you have researched the differences.

WalterFH welcome. In case you are confused by now, the honeybee Apis Mellifera should be thought of as a 'superorganism' - each individual bee being a co-dependent on the other. A queen is of no use without attendant workers and drones, and the colony survives by synergy. Queen is fed and nurtured by workers and mated with drones (once). Queen lays thousand + eggs per day, workers tend brood with food and warmth.

Therefore, to start your venture, you will need a fully functional colony (advisable to start with a small, developing colony, a.k.a a nucleus (nuc)).

You will probably have gathered by now, that there may be more to this beekeeping thing than meets the eye. And so do we all, therein lies the fascination.

My advice to you would be to hook up with a knowledgeable beekeeper to get some hands-on experience. And read, read, read - there are many very good books to lead you through the essentials.

So, unless you have needy colonies in those hives, forget about queens!

Good luck.

Last edited:
Hello and welcom if you join a local club you may be able to get a swarm and loads of helpfull advice good luck :welcome:

Seems odd the postee has not been back again. Maybe it was a wind up!

Latest posts

Back