Newbee

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peacoops

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
oops 5
Hi, sorry long post to follow :hairpull:
We 'inherited' a hive last summer and then the rest of the guys gear this year which means we have two hives occupied and enough to make up two more. OH has been in charge as I didn't have a suit but now I do :)
We've been reading, researching etc and keep in touch with the guy we got it all from, but now I realise we know next to nothing - which I intend to change.
Love the info on this forum. Extracted honey from one hive last week, the other hive has none to spare so have started feeding them. Can I just confirm that the extracted supers should come off now the bees have cleaned them up and they should be stored off the hives? How and where do i store them?
Based in Dorset, will be finding a mentor, just don't want to get behind on jobs now.
Thank you

Rats and mice can be a problem to stored frames. Also they should be sealed from wax moth. You can blank off the base and roof of the super and store them in there. I store mine in those plastic boxes (that you buy for storing under the bed) an place them in a cool dry shed where rats cannot get in.

I place sheets of newspaper between the supers to absorb any damp. Other than that previous advice is spot on.

Hi all,
Can I just add that you should freeze the frames in small batches if need be at -18C for at least 24-48 hrs to ensure wax moth eggs, larvae and pupae are killed prior to storage. Also, make sure that the boxes have been scorched for the same reason. Seal boxes top and bottom and make sure there are no gaps between boxes for wax moths to get in as reinfection is a big issue. I would not be in a hurry to do this as you are running a small set up and wax moth season is in its prime with no sign of cold weather on the horizon. See threads on main forum for this issue.

Thank you for your advice, that is tomorrows jobs then if we miss the thunder and lightning.

Rats and mice can be a problem to stored frames. Also they should be sealed from wax moth. You can blank off the base and roof of the super and store them in there. I store mine in those plastic boxes (that you buy for storing under the bed) an place them in a cool dry shed where rats cannot get in.
Now that is the hard part, the only rat proof construction i have ever came across is a steel shipping container, however if you do not really have a rat problem i do not see a normal wooden shed being a problem for storing bits and bobs.

OK obviously made a few mistakes here, i think I've left it too long between extracting, putting the two supers back on for cleaning up and now today when i went to take them off they are busy busy busy filling them with stores. So shall I just leave them to it and keep them on for the winter or do something different?

Also the other hive which didn't have enough stores in, they have taken the feed so will top that up later, but i did notice a few moth at the 'quieter' end of the brood box. Should I act on this now? I do have another brood box that I have scorched, so could transfer them to that ... or is that just closing the door after the horse has bolted?

Thank you in advance.

Hi peacoops,
The idea is to get the stores into the brood box where it is needed for winter. So what have you got in there? Assuming both colonies are healthy you could nadir one super on the other one for them to move stores up into brood box. If you think they have time to cap the other super leave it on otherwise nadir that one too.

i think I've left it too long between extracting, putting the two supers back on for cleaning up .

Your first mistake IMHO - why put them back on for the bees 'to clean' a pointless waste of time and effort - seal them up wet, they'll be fine as they are in spring and also a lot less attractive to waxmoth.

jenkinsbrynmair I really don't think that was my FIRST mistake :)
I love that I think I am being told off by a dachshund!

I am going with Beeno and will nadir one onto the other hive, I think that makes sense with whats going on atm. We are on the edge of a wood, so we do have ivy flowering and I really want them to have good winter stores.

Thank you again.

...putting the two supers back on for cleaning up and now today when i went to take them off they are busy busy busy filling them with stores. ...

When returning wet supers to the bees for cleaning, you should put them above the crown board with the feeding hole open. The bees will then (usually - I think) consider them to be outside the hive and clean the frames or move the honey into the brood box. Did you that?

Last edited:
Your first mistake IMHO - why put them back on for the bees 'to clean' a pointless waste of time and effort - seal them up wet, they'll be fine as they are in spring and also a lot less attractive to waxmoth.

:iagree: There probably isn't enough time and weather now for them to refill them.

Oh dearI am a classic case of a little bit of knowledge being dangerous.

Please bear with me, if I am going to nadir one super to the other hive do I use the clearer board to clear it of bees like we did before extracting?

Latest posts

Back