Newbee to Surrey Heath

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carolbee

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Number of Hives
Hi - I'm Carol and am just taking up beekeeping, perhaps a little later in life than many of you although I have been keen for many years. I'm currently just finishing a beginner's theory course and will undertake a practical course in April, with the intention of getting my first hive then. I live in Bagshot and wondered if there were any beekeepers in my area. It would be great to make acquaintance with you. Also, I'd like to join an Association, but being situated in the middle of a number of them, wondered if anyone had any experience of any and could advise which one they would consider worth joining. Many thanks. bee-smillie

:welcome:

Not local to you, just offereing the suggestion that you go along to as many meetings as possible of as many associations as possible - most are delighted to welcome visitors and prospective new members. (Polite 'good form' suggests that you 'ask' the Secretary, rather than just showing up!)
See where you feel most comfortable!
See who is interested in helping/mentoring beginners.
See who has got the best/most loan kit (like extractors).
Look before you join.
And you can join more than one. It is usually very cheap to join as a friend/associate/beeless member.
One large chunk of the "full" membership fee goes to the BBKA 'capitation' (for which you get their 'News' (magazine) and 3rd Party insurance). Another goes to Bee Disease Insurance (for your first 3 hives. You only need to pay those once (per year!), so you can take full membership of one and associate membership elsewhere. And even move your full membership to a different one next year.

Another thing to be aware of is that there is no point in delaying joining.
Membership fees usually don't relate to 12 months from when you join.
They are based on calendar years, so join later and you get less for the same money!

Last suggestion is that many (most? all?) Associations have some sort of scheme for giving collected swarms to beginners.
This has good and bad points - but it can get you some bees (for basically petrol transport cost) to get started with, essentially something cheap to learn on. And you might just get some very nice bees. (Though you might not!)

Last edited:
Many thanks for taking the time to reply itma. Your information is very helpful. There are a couple of Associations whose websites look informative and welcoming so will give them a try first. Would still be good to meet any beekeepers local to me though. bee-smillie

Hi carol,
Welcome, we are members of Guildford and Fleet, those probably closest to you. C

Nice pub in Windlesham called The Bee....

Welcome.

Hi Carol,
I'm the training person at Fleet Beekeepers - We are in the middle of this years "Beekeeping for Beeginners" course at present with 20 plus other new Beeks. You are welcome to join us at our practical training sessions which should start in April if you want a "taster".

Please feel free to contact me here or go to our website at fleetbeekeepers dot com and use our contact form for there for any informal information or advice you might need.

Simon

Latest posts

Back