Hello from Brentwood Essex

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I’m new to beekeeping and am in the final week of my theory course at my local BBKA - practical course starts in May. I have been going to the association’s monthly meetings for a while and have met some great people and picked up a lot! I am hoping to get my first colony at the end of May and so am looking at hives. I (think) I’m going for a cedar national and am pondering an underfloor entrance (Kewl) as a lot lost hives to wasps last year and a few are going over to these entrances and suggested I start off with it. I’ve done some research but there aren’t many out there for sale and I don’t know if I would need a landing board with one too? Any insight would be great! Thanks x

Normal hive floor entrances are fine there’s just a requirement for some sense how much to open it or reduce them ahead of time. On saying that I made a load of ufe floors over the Winter and I think Jenks plans are on this site or try you tube black mountain honey ufe….there’s a little instructional video of making them. I’ve given mine an extra rim but that’s it!
And no there is no need for a landing board ufe floors have them built in, there is also no need for landing boards on normal floors either!

Normal hive floor entrances are fine there’s just a requirement for some sense how much to open it or reduce them ahead of time. On saying that I made a load of ufe floors over the Winter and I think Jenks plans are on this site or try you tube black mountain honey ufe….there’s a little instructional video of making them. I’ve given mine an extra rim but that’s it!
And no there is no need for a landing board ufe floors have them built in, there is also no need for landing boards on normal floors either!
Thank you! Yes they’re very pricey so will def look at the plans to make my own x

Latest posts

Back