Hello! New beekeeper from Leeds

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taylorsamuel93

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
2 + 1 NUC
Hi there,

I have just started beekeeping this year and went through the winter course at the Leeds BKA. I made a beekeeper friend there and they caught a swarm for my Maisemore NUC so I am currently over wintering them. I bought a couple of hives from Thorne so I cannot wait to start properly next year!

Nice to meet you!
Sam Taylor

Welcome. You had a good start going on a course. Your second year coming up. Sorry, but that will be tougher than the first but just as enjoyable. Try to resist any fiddling with the bees over winter. I assume you have treated or intend to treat soon for varroa and just keep a regular check on hive weight

Hi there,

I have just started beekeeping this year and went through the winter course at the Leeds BKA. I made a beekeeper friend there and they caught a swarm for my Maisemore NUC so I am currently over wintering them. I bought a couple of hives from Thorne so I cannot wait to start properly next year!

Nice to meet you!
Sam Taylor
Welcome, from Scotland.

Welcome. You had a good start going on a course. Your second year coming up. Sorry, but that will be tougher than the first but just as enjoyable. Try to resist any fiddling with the bees over winter. I assume you have treated or intend to treat soon for varroa and just keep a regular check on hive weight
Thanks drex! Yes, all treated and weighed out. Just leaving them and feeding them fondant 🎂

Welcome Sam :music-smiley-023: from John in Sunny Milton Keynes;) .You found the best bee Forum on the net ,advice a plenty on here ,as we are in wintering phase plenty of time to catch up old posts ,and look at the stickies too .Enjoy your beekeeping journey and never hesitate to ask a question, however silly it may seem ,I ask them all the time ,my first year too ,fingers and toes crossed that my 2 colonies get through Winter
John.

Welcome Sam :music-smiley-023: from John in Sunny Milton Keynes;) .You found the best bee Forum on the net ,advice a plenty on here ,as we are in wintering phase plenty of time to catch up old posts ,and look at the stickies too .Enjoy your beekeeping journey and never hesitate to ask a question, however silly it may seem ,I ask them all the time ,my first year too ,fingers and toes crossed that my 2 colonies get through Winter
John.
Thanks! I have definitely found more straightforward answers here than looking at one or two lists of top products that some of the main apiaries suggest e.g. which nail gun to buy for frames and what size nails will do the job. All my best for your colonies over winter 🤞🏻

Latest posts

Back