Hello from A migratory beekeeper!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul24

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Hello!
I am Paul a literal migratory beekeeper, I move around the world to learn beekeeping from different parts of the globe!
been to USA for a lot of years then Australia and the Philippines.
I have been doing beekeeping for more than 10 years now. With queen breeding as my top skill.

Hope to learn a lot from beekeepers from UK!

Cheers!

queen breeding as my top skill ... Hope to learn a lot from beekeepers from UK
Surely the other way round, Paul: we could learn a lot from you. The traditional struggle to breed queens in quantity in the UK (erratic summer weather, easy imports) is a challenge that appeals to only a few (Denrosa, BHP, er... must be others) and if you were to spend a few years here to crack that, we would be in your debt and you would make a profit.

Surely the other way round, Paul: we could learn a lot from you. The traditional struggle to breed queens in quantity in the UK (erratic summer weather, easy imports) is a challenge that appeals to only a few (Denrosa, BHP, er... must be others) and if you were to spend a few years here to crack that, we would be in your debt and you would make a profit.
I saw a position going down in Buckinghamshire for a beekeeper to help with queen rearing they say they have 60 production colony’s and are raising 2000 queens annually in the uk.

I agree with Eric we could learn a lot from you @paul24

Thank you for the kind words guys.
Beekeeping surely relies big on location.
I am pretty sure you beekeepers in the UK uses different management when it comes to queen rearing. When I was in Florida USA we used to graft 1000 queens per week with +90% success rate but only if everything goes to plan LOL I believe beekeeping is a learning journey we will always learn new things each day.

I saw a position going down in Buckinghamshire for a beekeeper to help with queen rearing they say they have 60 production colony’s and are raising 2000 queens annually in the uk.

I agree with Eric we could learn a lot from you @paul24
If an opportunity arises, it would be an honour to work for a queen breeder in the UK! I love meeting new people and new environments.

Congratulations on your exceptional choice of name.

I started beekeeping last year.
The people in this forum have helped me expand to 2 apiaries and 7 colonies with plans to increase numbers this year - contributing greatly to Abelo's bottom line.

Have you had the misfortune of using our National format yet? - never has so much timber been spent in the pursuit of bigger lugs.

The headline over the next few years for UK beekeeping is likely to continue to be the yellow-legged Asian hornet. How familiar are you with the subject? Do you have any more insight for us?

Last question, what's your opinion or experience of using native bee strains like AMM?

Thanks.

Last edited:
never has so much timber been spent in the pursuit of bigger lugs.
They still snap at the topbar joint! Murray at Denrosa had his top bar slots widened to strengthen the joint and reduce the need to replace a broken lug with nails (in a sweaty field full of bees).

The people in this forum have helped me expand to 2 apiaries and 7 colonies with plans to increase numbers this year - contributing greatly to Abelo's bottom line.

Have you had the misfortune of using our National format yet? - never has so much timber been spent in the pursuit of bigger lugs.

The headline over the next few years for UK beekeeping is likely to continue to be the yellow-legged Asian hornet. How familiar are you with the subject? Do you have any more insight for us?

Last question, what's your opinion or experience of using native bee strains like AMM?

Thanks.
Ok wait, I still have to familiarize all your UK beekeeping words, this is a new world for me LOL:ROFLMAO:

Welcome
I keep hoping to find the Holy Grail of beekeeping.
I expect to die hoping:eek:

Thanks.
Pardon my ignorance, I keep on ready here about Abelo, and doing my quick google search, it is a beekeeping company. Am I missing something? Is it a kind of bee box?
and also what is a Lug?
Sorry for asking a lot of questions..

Pardon my ignorance, I keep on ready here about Abelo, and doing my quick google search, it is a beekeeping company. Am I missing something? Is it a kind of bee box?
and also what is a Lug?
Abelo is indeed a beekeeping company. They deal with Lyson kit which is Polish
A lug is the bit of the frame you put your fingers round to lift it up.

and also what is a Lug?
Abelo is a company that makes beekeeping equipment. They are famous for their National format polystyrene hives.
A lug is the arm that sticks out the side of a frame, suspending it.

Attachments

• img_4303.jpg
    img_4303.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back