New renegade beekeeper Stirlingshire

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, there certainly is a movement. You may not like it but it's there and it's growing. Whether it lasts, I don't know. LOL "something you failed to grasp" ok dude.
LOL ok renegade
Random sheeple who come up with the same 'save the honeybees' idea after reading a guardian article are not a movement.

Keep bees however you like, provided the bees and bees in general do not suffer is my opinion. I started off with conventional Nationals, which are still my main hives. I then built a Kenyan top bar ( which I have now converted to a national long hive). I also run another KTBH and a Warre.
I am glad I had some experience before going down a less common path, ( it would have been difficult without) but have learned a lot from my " unconventional " hives , that I would not from just the Nationals

Keep bees however you like, provided the bees and bees in general do not suffer is my opinion. I started off with conventional Nationals, which are still my main hives. I then built a Kenyan top bar ( which I have now converted to a national long hive). I also run another KTBH and a Warre.
I am glad I had some experience before going down a less common path, ( it would have been difficult without) but have learned a lot from my " unconventional " hives , that I would not from just the Nationals
I’ve always fancied a log hive but stan wouldn’t make me one hence the box in the tree. But I don’t actually keep the bees in it. They keep themselves.

I for one wish Emma well in her bee endeavours what ever trail they may follow, I do hope she stays here in the community for the wealth of knowledge that lurks within. Certainly Emma can hold her own on a predominantly conventional orientated beekeeping forum and I for one am open minded as to others choice of beekeeping even if it isn't my way.

Thin bamboo skewers for top bars. I can't see anything that could go wrong with this.

Why doesn't he just use, you know, top bars .... ?

Warre would be turning in his grave :oops:
He acknowledged Sam Comfort for the idea. For the weight of the foundation and the thin bamboo skewers, that is why the box is a depth of 6 inches. I'm also trying to recall Eva Cranes research going back a few thousand years of a similar design with straight sticks in a clay bucket, I can visualise the picture, but not sure which civilisation used it.

He acknowledged Sam Comfort for the idea. For the weight of the foundation and the thin bamboo skewers, that is why the box is a depth of 6 inches. I'm also trying to recall Eva Cranes research going back a few thousand years of a similar design with straight sticks in a clay bucket, I can visualise the picture, but not sure which civilisation used it.

Skep users pushed sticks through the side to support the comb. But the comb was anchored to the roof of the skep.

Skep users pushed sticks through the side to support the comb. But the comb was anchored to the roof of the skep.
Nope this was definitely the other way round. Think of it as an upside down skep with sticks going across the base which is now near to the roof and easy to lift up.

That's so lovely, thank you! My daughter loves Eeyore so now she wants me to get this hive :D
I bought a couple of 8 x 4 sheets of PIR and joined glued it together, using the BS national deep frame as the template. They are wholly compatible with all my hives so brood or food stores can be given or taken away to support each other if in need.
The painting artwork I did my self, 46 years since I was a secondary school pupil who took art as a preferred subject.

I bought a couple of 8 x 4 sheets of PIR and joined glued it together, using the BS national deep frame as the template. They are wholly compatible with all my hives so brood or food stores can be given or taken away to support each other if in need.
The painting artwork I did my self, 46 years since I was a secondary school pupil who took art as a preferred subject.

What type of paint did you use on the PIR? I have a poly hive with a hole in that I've thought about fixing with a "plug" of PIR if I can then paint it to seal the exposed face.

James

Just masonry paint, I used a base layer of cream sandtex smooth which I used for the house render and after that I just used small tester pots of various colours on top. The surface does suffer from bird attack mainly I think tit's so I just use a bit of ali tape and dab over with paint. The roof I used some 60gsm cloth and fibre glassed for toughness, it's the roof edge sides that most damage occurs.
I used I think four main colours and mixed them a little at a time to vary the hues I wanted and used the cream to lighten colours.
A apart from the cream I already had, I got dk grey, red, light/mid green and black.

Last edited:
Ah, cool. I use dark green masonry paint on my poly hives anyhow, so hopefully have some left over somewhere. Or I might have some of the "midnight blue" that I used to paint the inside walls of my observatory. I'm actually considering using the same paint on some of my wooden hives as it seems to cope with a bit of movement much better than other types.

James

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back