New renegade beekeeper Stirlingshire

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm booked to attend Chris Park's skep beekeeping course in July in the positively balmy Swindon :) I've also decided to become a mead drinker after listening to his podcasts...
We await pictures of your efforts
(Not flat on your back from too much mead though )

Eh? I'm not sure what you are driving at here. Can you be specific?

What was my analogy?

I imagine 'terferenced' is 'referenced'?

What does it mean to say: 'your analogy does not hold water referenced with an equally implausible scenario'

What was my 'implausible scenario'?

"Probably none would survive. But if you dropped 1000 people in a (large) forest, perhaps 20 would, and they'd know how it's done. They'd teach their children, and in fifty years or so you might have a thriving community that can sustain itself indefinately."

Your analogy and implausible scenario ....

You can have the last word I'm not bothering to respond again whatever you say.

"Probably none would survive. But if you dropped 1000 people in a (large) forest, perhaps 20 would, and they'd know how it's done. They'd teach their children, and in fifty years or so you might have a thriving community that can sustain itself indefinately."

It's not meant to be a precise statement. It's painting a picture. It's saying the larger the population, the greater the chances of a good outcome.

That principle is applicable across the board.

Once you understand the principles you know what sorts of things will improve your chances. The context was local breeding clubs.

I'm pretty sure most people here can understand that, and accept it the reality. Regardless of whether it is personally a welcome or annoying reality.

I think most of us gave up long ago anyway Philip :laughing-smiley-014

Very well. Currently building an eco box for the skep housing. I also have another hive option that I'm exploring but I shan't divulge that one just yet.

I'm booked to attend Chris Park's skep beekeeping course in July in the positively balmy Swindon :) I've also decided to become a mead drinker after listening to his podcasts...
Hi Have you looked at Zest hives..not the prettiest but interesting. I have a standard long top bar bought from Thorne’s that I’m hoping to provide a colony with a home in this year. Top bar hives seem the most appealing to me especially as there’s no heavy lifting and they feel like a more natural providing of a cavity..easy enough to insulate too.

Emma, if you can wade through the hijack to see my question how’s your research going?
Longer term Emma will hopefully benefit from being within the area populated by drones from my treatment-free colonies - all of which came through the winter unscathed and are building up nicely

I met a chap recently who is doing quite well making and selling 'mead'. Except... its a sweet carbonated can flavoured in different ways with, maybe, a drop of honey. An alcopop basically. I guess there is no protection for the term?

More controversy!? :D
I've never understood the need to turn honey into mead. :D

You can always rely on me to be controversial ;)

Hi Have you looked at Zest hives..not the prettiest but interesting. I have a standard long top bar bought from Thorne’s that I’m hoping to provide a colony with a home in this year. Top bar hives seem the most appealing to me especially as there’s no heavy lifting and they feel like a more natural providing of a cavity..easy enough to insulate too.

Yes, that would probably be my first choice. I've watched a few of Phil Chandler's videos. I like how he amends the design. There was also another hive that I like the look of but it's still in development. (BeeScientific)

Cheap drain cleaner ?

Where are you buying your mead??? :D It's certainly not cheap!

Longer term Emma will hopefully benefit from being within the area populated by drones from my treatment-free colonies - all of which came through the winter unscathed and are building up nicely

Very happy to discover you're so near!

If Mead was any good you would be able to get it in Sainsburys and Weatherspoons tbh. That's my controversial view point.

haha, anything that's good would definitely NOT be in those places :)

Likely Waitrose though...

I met a chap recently who is doing quite well making and selling 'mead'. Except... its a sweet carbonated can flavoured in different ways with, maybe, a drop of honey. An alcopop basically. I guess there is no protection for the term?

That's unsurprising. I was looking at some "honey soap" the other day but on checking the ingredients it was honey scent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back