New queens just arrived

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete D

Drone Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
50+. Double Std National & 14x12
Just had the call from home, the postman has been and the envelope is buzzing. :willy_nilly:
My 4 'Buckfast' Ged Marshall queens have arrived. :Angel_anim:
I made up 4 queenless nucs yesterday and if the weather breaks this afternoon will be checking them for queen cells before intorducing the queens in their cages minus their workers.

How long will these be ok in their cages, just asked the wife to put them somewhere quiet till I get home

Pete D

My understanding is up to 10 days but the sooner they are used the better. they do need water though ASAP after travelling, only a drop mind!

My understanding is up to 10 days but the sooner they are used the better. they do need water though ASAP after travelling, only a drop mind!

:iagree: Dip your finger in a cup of water and rub it across the cage a couple of times, then put them somewhere warm and dark until introduced.

Just remember to ask your wife/partner if there are any mothballs around, before you pop the Q into a quiet, shady wardrobe etc !!!

As I am awaiting a new Q myself, the thought crossed my mind...

No mothballs so no worries there.
I was going to remove the attendants before introduction as I read that you should somewhere recently
should I ?
Pete D

New Queens

No need to remove attendants. By the time queen able to leave inrtroduction cage all bees in hive will already have pheromone and accepted. Remember to keep new queen and attendants warm and not chill upto introduction as they soon chill with only a few attendants. Generally keep mine in airing cupboard.

Dont put them in the airing cupboard . Too warm and wont last as long .
Been there done that .

Best place of all is in your shirt top pocket . bit tricky with more than 1 or 2 though .

G

I made up 4 queenless nucs yesterday and if the weather breaks this afternoon will be checking them for queen cells before intorducing the queens in their cages minus their workers.

Put her + attendants into nuc in postal cage asap for a few hours and then release her... how long will it be before workers produce queen cells... think about it !

A gentle spray of very dilute sugar water may also assists in introduction

Also fit a bit of qe over entrance as the Spinfasts queens I am told have a habit of absconding !

Well they are in, up and about early this morning so just after 7 I opened up the 4 nucs 1 at a time and hung the cage between the middle 2 frames. I had previously prepped them by releasing the attendants into a large plastic bag, the queens are marked and clipped so that helped with not losing them. The flap at the end was opened up to let them get at the fondant and its fingers crossed time. :eek:
Leave them for a week now and have a quick check for eggs
Pete D

Latest posts

Back