New poly nucs *Warning* Lemongrass oil

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I painted the outside with Dulux Weathershield Exterior Gloss Buckingham Green wasn't going to bother doing the inside but I will probably do the feeder now.

P1020815.JPG

Anyone else a little surprised how thin the roof is?

Last edited:
yes the roof is a little thin, i found myself putting it out the way when it was delivered and i was having a good look just incase the kids knocked it.

I have never used a frame feeder before and am assuming that the built in feeder in this nuc will need some sort of float to stop bees drowning? what are you guys that have these nucs using as floats in them?.

I have never used a frame feeder before and am assuming that the built in feeder in this nuc will need some sort of float to stop bees drowning? what are you guys that have these nucs using as floats in them?.
I don't have a nuc like this but I do have a fragile planet nuc feeder that is pretty slippery and I put four plastic drinking straws in the chamber that the bees use.

I had a 8mm square float in mine, but I've replaced it with a piece of wood that covers 80% of the width of the feed chamber to reduce the number that drown.

I have just tried Perlite floated on syrup in a different type of feeder and it worked very well. You can buy it from gardening shops. It won't stop them sliding down the sides but they shouldn't drown. Trial and error to get the right amount - a coating about two beads thick worked for me.

to paint inside the feeder if your doing a load
water down your paint with 25% water pour in to the feeder give it a swirl and then use a small paint roller to do the upper part then empty out the remaining paint leave to dry for a couple of days
I used a 2 ltr jug of paint for doing the 30+ made it a quick and easy jub

Try an emulsion paint or a water based paint. I'm not clear why you are using Cuprinol, what are you trying to preserve?

you can buy a 1m cam buckle strap from flee bay for around £1 to strap the lids on

to paint inside the feeder if your doing a load
water down your paint with 25% water pour in to the feeder give it a swirl and then use a small paint roller to do the upper part then empty out the remaining paint leave to dry for a couple of days
I used a 2 ltr jug of paint for doing the 30+ made it a quick and easy jub

why is there a need to paint the inside of the feeder, poly is waterproof

why is there a need to paint the inside of the feeder, poly is waterproof

No its not totally. EPS as it is known as is made by beads fused together under heat and pressure. This can leave little voids between the beads and tiny cracks in the surface. Some of the first people to use EPS feeders in the UK didn't paint the inside of them and then wondered why the feeders were getting heavier - the syrup slowly seeps into the materiel over time. It will also make them very difficult if not impossible to cleanand mould will grow on the surface due to the embedded sugar. EPS is a bit like wood really, it is waterproof to a degree without a surface treatment but moisture will soak in over time.

The best polystyrene surfboards have a fibreglass outerskin to prevent damage but also to stop sea water making the board heavier over time if the board was used a lot. Some boards are made from a special low-void EPS but this does not remove the problem completely.

It is but the advice from them what sell top feeders, and that is to paint them to inhibit mould growth.

If painting these internal feeders why not add some soft sand to the paint to give a good tootsie grip?

PH

poly is waterproof

MM,

Yes, but the surface may absorb a little sugar solution (the EPS contains voids, by definition) and then those little microbes (yeasts, and such like) get to work on it, leaving a nasty mess in the surface.

Regards, RAB

I painted a few Kielers the other day with exterior emulsion paint. I painted inside the removable feeders and shut the lid. When I came to do the second coat, the outer surface was fine and dry, but the feeder was as wet as it was when I painted it.

SO. If you are in a hurry and paint inside the feeder, leave the lid off so that the air can get to it, or you will have an unexpected wait ahead of you.

= = =
I have made eleven 14x12 sized feeders that use 12mm timber for the frame and lugs. They have been filled up twice (1 litre), and were emptied by the bees between refills, but no sign of drowned bees, as the distance between the 3mm ply walls are sufficiently narrow that the bees seem to be able to negotiate them OK. I used exterior varnish inside the feeders and no float.

Folks could always resort to using fondant in their P****s poly nuc feeders instead of syrup (it's perfectly adequate).

It is but the advice from them what sell top feeders, and that is to paint them to inhibit mould growth.

If painting these internal feeders why not add some soft sand to the paint to give a good tootsie grip?

PH

Polyhive, you recommend varnish with a little sand if I remember. I believe acrylic paint is good too.

How do you clean these integrated feeders?
I usually clean (wash) out the frame feeders after 2 or 3 re-fills.

Any unused fondant in a frame feeder is a pain to get out.

Johnsons do a very good gloss acrylic and I have used the white in a number of poly feeders. Acrylic is easy to use as the brushes can be cleaned in water and it dries quickly. But you will probably have to shop around to find it. I have only found it in their paint depots which probably means going to a major city.

I am probably going to purchase my first poly hive this Winter.

Not had one before, so no experience.

So does this mean all polys must/should be treated? Or are we just saying that this one needs to internally because of the built in feeder??

Feeders need 3 to 4 coats and I would strongly recommend you paint the floor internally as well. Everything else need only be painted externally, providing you use a plastic sheet under the roof, which you should, otherwise paint the inside of the roof as well.

Any unused fondant in a frame feeder is a pain to get out.

Then sacrifice frame No.6, block off the integrated poly feeder and put a wooden one in instead for your syrup...........after all, the vast majority of nuc boxes only take 5 frames and a dummy board.

Latest posts

Back