New poly nucs *Warning* Lemongrass oil

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike a

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Between 17-20
Recently bought one of the new 6 frame poly nucs.
My intention was to use it as a bait hive until later in the season so I liberally sprinkled some lemongrass oil inside, today I noticed this.

lg1.jpg

lg2.jpg

lg3.jpg

I've not read anything about lemongrass oil dissolving poly before now so wondering if its a known problem or just a problem with type of poly nuc.

i was about to a a few drops of lemon grass oil to a spare poly 14x12 Nuc to act as a bait hive ,so thanks and thanks again Mike A

Acetic (Ethanoic) Acid possibly, but there is also some research into Citric Acid

[2-hydroxypropane-1,2.3-tricaroxylic acid] being leached into styrene food containers, that toxicologically speaking is a bit problematic as styrene molecules may ape some endocrinic hormones and be a trigger for prostate and ovarian cancer.

I try only to eat and drink from china plates / mugs..... at least then you could only get lead / cadmium / beryllium poisoning from the glaze!

I only use best quality sheep's intestine for bait sausages, and some may contain lemon grass essence.... if I used plastic economy sausage skins they would surely fall apart... thanks for the warning !!

Read this and thought what?

Got a bit of scrap from cutting an entrance and shook some Lemongrass Oil on it. See Pics. First one is pre oil, 2nd is about 5 minutes after applying it.

There is (sorry for the blur) a distinct reaction to the oil.

I would suggest that the answer is to apply the oil to frames, both wax and wood avoiding shaking the stuff liberally as after all it don't take much to generate the required scent. The living room is now a bit whew.....

PH

Really strange this as I was just about to post on here asking if these poly nucs any good and at £30 seems a good deal.
So other than the problem with the lemon grass oil are they good value or would I be better off making a wooden one?

Cheers

kronkie.

Really strange this as I was just about to post on here asking if these poly nucs any good and at £30 seems a good deal.
So other than the problem with the lemon grass oil are they good value or would I be better off making a wooden one?
Cheers
kronkie.

I wish poly hives had been more widely advertised when I started bee keeping several years ago. Given a choice I would swap over to them tomorrow. Of course some are better designed than others and it depends where you buy them from.

Of the 25 or so nucs that I own there are no wooden ones.

Nor actually would I use one for swarm attracting as ...........................

nuc boxes are the wrong size for that job they should be Brood Boxes.

I know people do succeed with nucs but the research says (from memory) a volume of 40 litres which is too big for a nuc.

PH

Environmentally, polyhives are not such good news, hardly renewable or sustainable, and I expect some will end up in those enormous ocean plastic "islands" for centuries to come.

However, when I researched bioplastics a few years back, microbes that eat the stuff were being researched. Wonder if they can live in the wild:reddevil:?

Lots of essential oils are very powerful. I think it was lavender oil that melted a plastic ruler to the top of the fridge years ago. Impressive mess.

I wish poly hives had been more widely advertised when I started bee keeping several years ago. Given a choice I would swap over to them tomorrow. Of course some are better designed than others and it depends where you buy them from.

:iagree:

Cheers

kronkie.
Mine was delivered today and i have just made up the frames for it, it seems to be good value but i dont think the poly is as hard as the mb ones.

The bottom line is to ask the density before buying.

PH

Environmentally, polyhives are not such good news, hardly renewable or sustainable, and I expect some will end up in those enormous ocean plastic "islands" for centuries to come.

However, when I researched bioplastics a few years back, microbes that eat the stuff were being researched. Wonder if they can live in the wild:reddevil:?

Lots of essential oils are very powerful. I think it was lavender oil that melted a plastic ruler to the top of the fridge years ago. Impressive mess.

Shan't quote sites but they are supposed to last 30 years and have already made 20 and then can be turned into filling for insulation in walls/lofts/? Also can be made into planking for benches/tables/decking and a lot more besides.

They also burn, allegedly, with little pollution.

We used to live in caves until somebody found fire/ made a wooden shed/mud hut/concrete block house/insulated it/central heating/evolution.

Luddites? !

Bees would surely live in a warm, stable temperature without damp by choice rather than put up with the horrendous conditions that often prevail.

Mine was delivered today and i have just made up the frames for it, it seems to be good value but i dont think the poly is as hard as the mb ones.

MB - we have bought some and they're excellent. Good service too.

Mike A - is that the one from P****s? I bought one the other day and was gonna dose it with lemongrass to make a bait... but obviously not now.

Still, I really like the design of it:- in-built frame feeder, mesh floor etc... and, IMO, really good value - seeing as a bought wooden nuc hive (not travelling box) would cost about 50-100 quid.

Ben P

are there any differences between those from Essex and those from west Sussex

I would doubt it if they all have the P****s company name or logo on them.

If not, they could easily be of differing quality.

Don't know of the differing delivery charges, but I know where I would be getting them from, if I were buying. I would go to the manufacturer.

Regards, RAB

Mike A - is that the one from P****s? I bought one the other day and was gonna dose it with lemongrass to make a bait... but obviously not now.
Ben P

Yes its from them.

:( Too late, already found out about the lemongrass oil on P****s nucs the hard way. Anyone tried painting the inside of the feed chamber yet - if so what with and was that reactive with the poly? Painted the outside of mine with brown Cuprinol (old tin) but several tries washed off in the rain. However 2 days of sunshine (and more coats) seems to have done it.

Latest posts

Back