New jars, would you wash them first?\

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

astabada

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hi everyone,
I just got my new jars from a well known supplier. The package was ok but not sealed. Do you usually wash the new jars and then sterilize them in the oven before filling them with honey?

This is my first year I taking honey so I've gone into super careful mode. I'm going to run my jars through the dishwasher then bake them in the oven.

I would wash them personally just in case whatever the factory rinsed them in has any after taste - in a dishwasher it's zero effort.

Thanks Domino. That's what I was thinking of doing too, but I'll wash them by hand as we don't have a dishwasher! :)
This is my third year but we have always re-used old jam/honey jars. This time we got so much honey that those jars were not enough!

Jars should always be washed - you never know how much pigeon-poo dust or rat wee has managed to get into them from the various factories and warehouses they've been in for the last few months.

Yes, always wash them just before filling them, dry them in a cool oven and not using a tea towel (as they are not very hygienic and likely to leave lint in the jars).

And of course, it is a requirement to use new jars if selling the honey. You have to be able to show a paper-trail of where the jars came from, in case there is a flaw in the batch. You can't do that with reused jars.

Good luck with it! And remember, honey makes everything sticky, no matter how careful you are!

Dusty

Last edited:
Hi everyone,
I just got my new jars from a well known supplier. The package was ok but not sealed. Do you usually wash the new jars and then sterilize them in the oven before filling them with honey?

Just had the council food safety guy in and he was satisfied with going through the dishwasher as do not need to be sterilised.

My washer has a glasses wash which is only a half hour so very handy.

Yes, always wash them just before filling them, dry them in a cool oven and not using a tea towel (as they are not very hygienic and likely to leave lint in the jars).

And of course, it is a requirement to use new jars if selling the honey. You have to be able to show a paper-trail of where the jars came from, in case there is a flaw in the batch. You can't do that with reused jars.

Good luck with it! And remember, honey makes everything sticky, no matter how careful you are!

Dusty

However, it is perfectly acceptable for you to reuse JARS if you check them for any damage before cleaning them and then before bottling.

On a side note I've got a few questions about labeling:

1. does the weight have to include the jar?
2. is it okay to use a PO box service as the address - I really don't want to put my address on labels.

Not that I'm selling any this year.

2. is it okay to use a PO box service as the address - I really don't want to put my address on labels.

Metric weight obligatory if selling. Not certain about PO box but doubt it. The BBKA has a link that provides the rules in detail. Google for "Advice for Honey Packers" and www.hants.gov.uk andyou will have all you need

Last edited:
No one mentioned how to clean the lids ,do you put them in the dishwasher as well or how do you sterilize them.
Regards
Liam C

The weight does NOT include the jar, so put the jar on the scales, reset to zero and then fill it up to 454 grams (1lb).

Lids can go in dishwasher as well.

Regulations are that information on label should make it capable to contact supplier so PO box number would suffice I guess.
Having said that I have not yet seen a jar of honey for sale without the address.

Dusty

I usually wash them first with soap and hot water and then I put them in the oven at 170° for about 1/2 hour. This way there's no need for them to dry. For the lids instead I boil them for about 10 minutes and then dry them with paper towel.
I've never sold any honey, that's why I've always re-used old jars. I was mainly giving it away to neighbors and family members (and of course some for us too!). But this year instead of the usual 10 liters we got 36.5 liters! So we bought new jars and labels. (from P***es so traceable).

Now we'll see what to do with it, farmers market maybe?

The rules about re-using glass honey jars was relaxed last year within EU so they can be reused without any problems whatsoever. Lids can only be reused if honey contents are not for sale. If selling, metal lids are DEFINITELY not reusable but plastic lids are OK.

The rules about re-using glass honey jars was relaxed last year within EU so they can be reused without any problems whatsoever. Lids can only be reused if honey contents are not for sale. If selling, metal lids are DEFINITELY not reusable but plastic lids are OK.

Any chance of a link to this info?

Yes, I've not heard of reusing either. Removing traces of old labels would be a pain, can a dishwasher get rid of glue traces if the label is removed?

Yes, I've not heard of reusing either. Removing traces of old labels would be a pain, can a dishwasher get rid of glue traces if the label is removed?

Hot water, soap, steel wool and a lot of patience! I did it last year and this year for about 60 jars. When I realized I needed at least another 50 I gave up and bought new jars. Still washed them but it took me about 1 hour or so (not a day like last week!).

Hot water, soap, steel wool and a lot of patience! I did it last year and this year for about 60 jars. When I realized I needed at least another 50 I gave up and bought new jars. Still washed them but it took me about 1 hour or so (not a day like last week!).

Sticky stuff remover spray does the job nicely. Haven't used it for beekeeping but used it for various other things. Can't remember the company but I think it was literally called 'sticky stuff remover' for things like label sticky stuff

Back