New in west berks

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cb50

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi am new

Trying to do the right things.

Read a few books
Joined local bka
Been on some hive visits
Bought first hive as opportunity arose
Made up frames to learn that

Want another hive so I have a comparison

Need bees and learn from practical experience and others experiences....

Trying to work out where to put them in my garden

Cheers and thanks in advance for the help I may need!

Colin

Hi am new

Read a few books
Joined local bka
Been on some hive visits

Colin

Looks like a good start ... bees in Spring I assume ? Good luck and welcome.

More of a risk to buy them now and try to get them through the winter.

Hi welcome to the forum, if you are not already a member of Newbury and district bka then it is worth joining, as you may be able to get bees from a member there. If not I know members in neighbouring Basingstoke BKA that could possibly help. Over winter read lots of books and if you can get a mentor.

Hi welcome to the forum, if you are not already a member of Newbury and district bka then it is worth joining, as you may be able to get bees from a member there. If not I know members in neighbouring Basingstoke BKA that could possibly help. Over winter read lots of books and if you can get a mentor.

Thanks, yes joined that one. Only got to go to one meeting thus far. Am reading lots. Thanks for advice.

lol

Hi am new

Read a few books
Joined local bka
Been on some hive visits

Colin
Say one thing wrong and they are like a gang of school kids bullying in the playground its pathetic,welcome to the worst piss take forum ive ever been in

Hi am new

Read a few books
Joined local bka
Been on some hive visits

Colin

:welcome:

Regarding placing the hive(s) - you want the sun to get to it (if there is any) at some point in winter --- so don't put it close under the north side of a hedge!
Ideally, you'd like as much sun as possible - early morning summer sun gets the day started early ... while also having a bit of shelter from the coldest winds.
But you also want to be encouraging your bees UP, above head height, as soon after leaving the hive as possible. Trellis covered with fruit-protection netting can do that job if you need to "fence them off" somewhat to permit other uses of garden space (or to get them up before overflying a neighbour or a path, or whatever. I'd suggest that you could, if needs be, get off with just a couple of metres in front of the hive.

You need a "Plan B". If the bees cause problems or nuisance, temporarily or otherwise, you do need somewhere that you could, if you had to, shift them to. Maybe even an association apiary.

Your local association should provide you with a swarm at cost (travel, etc?) sometime next summer. Its the cheapest way, short of catching your own swarm! (A friendly local member might give you an old frame or two in the spring to help 'bait' your hive(s) to attract a swarm to move in.
Buying bees now means a lot of fast learning about the business of getting them through the winter.
Buying bees early in the spring, you would pay a bit of a premium for the anticipated productivity in the season just starting, and for the work that someone else has done getting them through the winter.
A swarm is good to learn on.
Running two colonies gets you a full set of your own spare parts (bees) in case of malign fate or beginners mistake. Otherwise you are back to begging for help.

So for two colonies, you'd need two hives?
Err no, nearer four actually!
You need spare kit for prevention of (real) swarms by performing an 'artificial swarm' - artfully dividing the colony yourself. (You can recombine later)
Implicit in the above is that ALL the kit is interoperable. You need to be able to interchange frames and boxes (otherwise an artificial swarm gets horrible).
So, "a second hive to compare" needs to at the very least be taking the same frames!
So a WBC could just about go alongside a national (but you'll find the different box sizes quickly gets infuriating), so I'd suggest a poly national alongside a wooden one --- IF you insist on having two that aren't exactly the same. Standard-compliant hives from different sources/companies OUGHT to vary only in the quality of materials and workmanship, but do beware of those that 'improve' on standards by changing them. Nationals with top-beespace are a horrible but subtle problem when you also have a standard one!

:welcome:

Regarding placing the hive(s) - you want the sun to get to it (if there is any) at some point in winter --- so don't put it close under the north side of a hedge!
Ideally, you'd like as much sun as possible - early morning summer sun gets the day started early ... while also having a bit of shelter from the coldest winds.
But you also want to be encouraging your bees UP, above head height, as soon after leaving the hive as possible. Trellis covered with fruit-protection netting can do that job if you need to "fence them off" somewhat to permit other uses of garden space (or to get them up before overflying a neighbour or a path, or whatever. I'd suggest that you could, if needs be, get off with just a couple of metres in front of the hive.

You need a "Plan B". If the bees cause problems or nuisance, temporarily or otherwise, you do need somewhere that you could, if you had to, shift them to. Maybe even an association apiary.

Your local association should provide you with a swarm at cost (travel, etc?) sometime next summer. Its the cheapest way, short of catching your own swarm! (A friendly local member might give you an old frame or two in the spring to help 'bait' your hive(s) to attract a swarm to move in.
Buying bees now means a lot of fast learning about the business of getting them through the winter.
Buying bees early in the spring, you would pay a bit of a premium for the anticipated productivity in the season just starting, and for the work that someone else has done getting them through the winter.
A swarm is good to learn on.
Running two colonies gets you a full set of your own spare parts (bees) in case of malign fate or beginners mistake. Otherwise you are back to begging for help.

So for two colonies, you'd need two hives?
Err no, nearer four actually!
You need spare kit for prevention of (real) swarms by performing an 'artificial swarm' - artfully dividing the colony yourself. (You can recombine later)
Implicit in the above is that ALL the kit is interoperable. You need to be able to interchange frames and boxes (otherwise an artificial swarm gets horrible).
So, "a second hive to compare" needs to at the very least be taking the same frames!
So a WBC could just about go alongside a national (but you'll find the different box sizes quickly gets infuriating), so I'd suggest a poly national alongside a wooden one --- IF you insist on having two that aren't exactly the same. Standard-compliant hives from different sources/companies OUGHT to vary only in the quality of materials and workmanship, but do beware of those that 'improve' on standards by changing them. Nationals with top-beespace are a horrible but subtle problem when you also have a standard one!
Many thanks for your help here - really useful

Hi Colin

Welcome. I'm really very close to you, Hopefully see you at Newbury BKA.

When you are ready for some bees let me know, we will have some very nice nucs available in the spring.
Don't get them now, let others worry about getting them thru winter.

All the best

I'm pretty new here too but local to you, in Bucklebury. If there's anything I can do to help you out let me know.

I did courses with Newbury but they used to meet on a Friday evening which wasn't a time that suited me so I've never joined the association or been to a meeting but have a number of friends who have kept bees for a while so go by their advice and questions people have asked on here instead.

Sipa - do you still meet on a friday evening?

Oli

Thanks

I'm pretty new here too but local to you, in Bucklebury. If there's anything I can do to help you out let me know.

I did courses with Newbury but they used to meet on a Friday evening which wasn't a time that suited me so I've never joined the association or been to a meeting but have a number of friends who have kept bees for a while so go by their advice and questions people have asked on here instead.

Sipa - do you still meet on a friday evening?

Oli

Thanks oli all the help I can get!

Say one thing wrong and they are like a gang of school kids bullying in the playground its pathetic,welcome to the worst piss take forum ive ever been in

Well, it's a matter of opinion ... personally, I find this forum the best of all the beekeeping fora. There is usually a warm welcome for newbies and there is always helpful advice for anyone with a problem.... like all forums you tend to get back what you dish out ? Perhaps you should re-read your posts NFC ?

Hi Oli

Yes it's still on a Friday evening mostly, at Shaw church hall.

Just come along, don't suppose anyone would mind for a time or two.

They could do with some new blood, stir things up a bit, get 'em going !

I will make it along sooner or later but the problem is that i'm normally busy on a friday night but it is only round the corner so i'm sure i'll find an evening sometime. What normally happens at these meetings?

Back