new honey extractor

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I got my extractor from Simon last year and to be honest, its absolute garbage. Fair doos to him, he sent me out a free smock, but I wish I had just returned it straight away (had honey to extract pretty sharpish at the time unfortunately).

The winding arm is located directly above the lid (poor gearing) and the gear mechanism is hidden in a black plastic cover - which sheared and left a million tiny bits of black plastic in 50lb of honey, even thornes finest filter mesh couldn't get it all out.

The model linked above looks altogether better - side arm for better leverage and no cheap plastic cover.

On that note - anyone want to buy a stainless 4 frame extractor used once?

I got my extractor from Simon last year and to be honest, its absolute garbage. Fair doos to him, he sent me out a free smock, but I wish I had just returned it straight away (had honey to extract pretty sharpish at the time unfortunately).

The winding arm is located directly above the lid (poor gearing) and the gear mechanism is hidden in a black plastic cover - which sheared and left a million tiny bits of black plastic in 50lb of honey, even thornes finest filter mesh couldn't get it all out.

The model linked above looks altogether better - side arm for better leverage and no cheap plastic cover.

Eerrrrrrrrrr, i'll pass thanks.:icon_204-2:

I would have been ******* fuming!

"A free smock!"

I would have still sent it back and asked for compensation!

I would have been ******* fuming!

"A free smock!"

I would have still sent it back and asked for compensation!

I was ******* fuming, and should have really pushed for a refund, but I just wanted to extract the honey asap and couldn't be bothered driving all the way back to Warwickshire - you live and learn.

The german import purchased by Dexter's shed looks much, much better so I may just be tempted and consign the other to the shed of shame, never to see daylight again.....unless someone wants to make me an offer? I paid £180 I think

You could always use it as a settling tank? ...........or make a strawberry planter as a nice feature in your apiary.:icon_204-2: i would buy it but i have two.....extractors that is, not strawberry planters :icon_204-2:

thanks Dexter,after browsing e=bay for a cheap reasonable quality extractor not seen one as good as your description/video, so bit the bullet and persuaded swmbo to get me one as an early birthday present.:cheers2:

thanks Dexter,after browsing e=bay for a cheap reasonable quality extractor not seen one as good as your description/video, so bit the bullet and persuaded swmbo to get me one as an early birthday present.:cheers2:

should have bought mine instead and got the vanilla fleck honey (all the rage in the honey world you know)

Silly....

that means that its yours and you will be expected to use it...

I'm looking forward to it. I was going to try my hand at making one,so using this will be a doddle'ish in comparision :sunning: .Roll on the main flow :nature-smiley-016:

New extractor came this morning, unpacked and played with within 10 mins :0). Is as good as dexter said :0). :cheers2:

ok, so I got to use mine yesterday, so for what it's worth, my review on it

the honey valve leaked like a sieve when I cleaned it with water, however it was fine with honey in it
the cage will benefit from some loops at the top, to hold the frame more upright, as they all lent at a 25 degree angle, although still spun ok,
getting the honey out I found when nearly empty I had to really lean it forward a fair bit, do other extractors need this doing ??
and on cleaning, here's how the extractor arrived

the top comes off really easy, just two nuts to undo, but on re attaching the top, those splines with the red in between, would not mesh together, I was not happy anyway with how it looked before, seemed too far apart, so released the grub screws and moved it together, seems fine now.

so all in all, very happy with it

"getting the honey out I found when nearly empty I had to really lean it forward a fair bit, do other extractors need this doing ??
and on cleaning, here's how the extractor arrived"

yes, most extractors, that have a flat bottom, and where the honey gate is installed horizontally, some of the newer more expensive honey gates are installed at an angle, you have to tilt it up, or use a yellow pages!

Latest posts

Back