new honey extractor

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dexter's shed

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I thought I'd post this here, as most new beekeepers at some point in time start looking to buy one.
I've kept bees around 3-4yrs now and did mostly cut comb and crush and strain to get a little honey, I borrowed the clubs extractor and also a friends one, and thought it was about time to get my own,
but what one? there's so many out there

price was first on my list, I'm a tight ass, I wanted cheap as poss

quality was second, rather stainless than plastic

there's quite a few on e bay from sellers in the UK at between £100-£200 plus postage or free, but they seem to only have a smallish basket size, most were 215mm across
as I keep nationals,commercials and rose hives, it was the rose frames that would not fit those baskets, bit pointless having an extractor which will not take all frames,

then I spotted this one, it seemed to good to be true, less than £100, free delivery and from Germany, I took a chance and ordered it 3 days ago!!!!
yes it got here quicker than some stuff sent from england, e mails to confirm postage/delivery times within the hour too

so here's a quick video of it, nice size basket, good quality item,

https://youtu.be/GjrNdRY76Yk

Looks good. A suggestion, based on a previous experience with a "cheap" SS extractor, is put some water in the bottom and check it doesn't leak before extracting any honey. One I bought did, and was sent back for a refund PDQ.

I will interested to see how you get on with this extractor. I have been thinking of getting one....OHS cringes every time I mention getting an extractor...he's seen the catalogue my mentor gave me!

Looks good. A suggestion, based on a previous experience with a "cheap" SS extractor, is put some water in the bottom and check it doesn't leak before extracting any honey. One I bought did, and was sent back for a refund PDQ.

I think most would leak some water out of the bottom if left in there to sit. Mine did when I was washing it out yet it leaks no honey at all and mine isn't cheap. I think also they are not designed to have liquid 'sitting' in them. I also think that they are also designed so that the rotational spinning stops liquid escaping down through the bottom.

I often wash mine, and fill it all to the top with water, and it does not leak.

I think most would leak some water out of the bottom if left in there to sit. Mine did when I was washing it out yet it leaks no honey at all and mine isn't cheap. I think also they are not designed to have liquid 'sitting' in them. I also think that they are also designed so that the rotational spinning stops liquid escaping down through the bottom.

Expensive items can also arrive faulty. No extractor should leak. And having honey sitting in the tank before filtering into buckets is exactly one of the things it is designed for.

Expensive items can also arrive faulty. No extractor should leak. And having honey sitting in the tank before filtering into buckets is exactly one of the things it is designed for.

mine doesn't leak honey, but some water can get through the seal.. surely its a question on viscosity?

Some honeys are more viscous than others, especially when warm. There are some very viscous honeys out there in the world. :)

Not sure I understand what you mean by the spinning stopping liquid escaping down to the bottom. Surely all the honey will eventually descend into the bottom of the extractor. Where it sits until you open the tap and drain it off.
I would be concerned about any product designed to hold liquid that leaks.

I would be concerned about any product designed to hold liquid that leaks.

it's a bit like a leaky car radiator, plain water will drip through, but add an egg to it (thicker fluid) and that will seal the hole and you'll get years of use still, so in effect, if something had a little weep on it, I'd be prone to seeing if it clogged after a use or two first

and I thought it was because bits of cooked egg blocked the holes!!

and I thought it was because bits of cooked egg blocked the holes!!

it is:hairpull:

so filling a drum with water, is slightly different from filling it with honey/pollen/wax/bee bodies/castes etc, the thicker fluid and bits, could/might seal up any small leaks, it's just a thought mind, not tried and tested, the egg, yes that was tried and worked for years

Considering that no matter how hard you try, and that some still ends up on the floor and get walked everywhere.........a slight leak isnt the end of the world.

Ah. Bit he's dexter. Well practised in the art of disposing of bodies without leaving a trace of blood. Honey should be no problem. Nice to see you found a gentler hobby.

Latest posts

Back