New Frame Quality

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John R

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
TBH
Number of Hives
I have bought a few sets of frames recently and wanted some feedback regarding the quality. Do people think that there are 2 grades of timber, as I bought some from 1 company and they are very light in both colour and weight, like thick balsa wood almost and they were ok to fit together but not really tight, the surface is also quite coarse. I then bought some from another company, they were more expensive but a darker and heavier pine, much much tighter to fit together. I know it sounds bleeding obvious, but is this an example of you get what you pay for do you think, are there 2 grades?

You can get second quality frames in the sales from the usual big companies - they come in bundles of fifty were they the ones? or maybe a smaller entrepeneur who has bought some and selling them on for a profit.
I know that one of the big suppliers cuts their frames with a slightly looser tolerance than the other which I prefer. So, a bit more info?

Are the cheaper frames sw1enty by any chance?

There are indeed several grades of timber. Half a dozen for joinery timber - from carcassing to high quality durable grades, or something like that. Some of the better products are made from russian sourced timber because it is relatively knot-free and straight-grained. Some could be made of cedar or other offcuts. Some could be made with less dense timber - good enough for purpose, but perhaps not quite so recyclable if subjected to cleaning by boiling.

I expect it is really down to whether you want to pay or or less for the product. The lighter, softer ones are likely adequate if they are used as kindling after a shorter period of use.

I wonder how the quality of timber can affect on the price of the frames in UK.
Your frames are 3 fold price that of Finland or Sweden.

I abandon all bad quality sticks. Knots are not allowed in frames, because wood twists inside the hive
Nowadays XX-company sells very good quality but som years ago I abandoned 20% of its material. Critical has been top bar. Nowadays XX sells very good material with same price.
If vertical parts are too soft, wires split the Wood and I cannot tighten the wires.

Knotless board comes from surfaces of thick tree trunks.
Scandinavian Pine grows sbout 30 cm per year. So you see that knots are many. Fast grown Wood is soft.

When twigs die off and drop down, them next layers are without knots. That is wanted material in many Works and it is not easy To get.

But If you use knot material in frame work, your work Will be discarded too with the Wood.

Last edited:
In the Land of Lego I am thinking that plastic frames would have been by now universal, but then it must be a trade off between deforestation and using oil?

My little boy has just told me that Lego is not made in Finland but Denmark where all the forests have already been logged !!!!

James

Last edited by a moderator:
Denmark sells Christmas trees To Finland. That is why their Forest do not grow long enough.

Latest posts

Back