Wrong way round Hoffman frames

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sutty

From Glossop, North Derbyshire, UK
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
4 to 12!
I was making up some super frames recently that I bought last year. I quickly realised they weren't the normal way around - the "sharp" edge points the opposite way to my other frames.
A bit annoying as they reduce compatibility, less bother with a super though.
More annoying is that I can't remember which company I bought them from!
Each pack has a top bar stamped NA956.
Check you frames when you get them!!

any frames manufactured in China seem to have the pointed/flat sides opposite to ours - it matters not a jot, in fact I believe, once again that this is an UK affectation - the rest of the world use Hoffmans with both sides made flat.
It makes not a jot of difference unless you're one of these 'beekeepers' who only inspects a handful of times a season

I think flat ones make more sense anyway.

On a flat edge as long as they're up against each other there's only a small surface area each side for bees to propolise.

On the pointy ones there's a much larger surface area which the bees can fill with propolis and make them stick really well together.

@Anduril be aware the top bars are about 3mm too wide for castellations so may be an issue if you use them. Otherwise they're excellent.

I think flat ones make more sense anyway.

On a flat edge as long as they're up against each other there's only a small surface area each side for bees to propolise.

On the pointy ones there's a much larger surface area which the bees can fill with propolis and make them stick really well together.

@Anduril be aware the top bars are about 3mm too wide for castellations so may be an issue if you use them. Otherwise they're excellent.
I like sliding frames in brood boxes.

This may be going against some unwritten (or probably written) rule but I make up my frames with the points pointing in the same direction.
That way there's never any confusion about which way around it goes back in because it can't be reversed. I started doing this because the first box of frames I made I didn't pay attention to which was right or left handed and ended up with a mix of both. As I won't be using premade or anybody else's frames it's a non issue.

This may be going against some unwritten (or probably written) rule but I make up my frames with the points pointing in the same direction.
you have no choice really - the grooves in the side bars dictate which side goes where

That way there's never any confusion about which way around it goes back in because it can't be reversed. I started doing this because the first box of frames I made I didn't pay attention to which was right or left handed and ended up with a mix of both. As I won't be using premade or anybody else's frames it's a non issue.

As an untutored novice, I put together a whole batch of frames like that; I wasn't aware of the groove for foundation until I tried to fit foundation! Now that I don't use foundation, that wouldn't matter.

For a similar reason, I try to place all my frames in the same direction, with the date-mark for the the year I first used them which is always at the right-hand side. It helps in those moments when I put a frame to one side and I'm unsure which way it came out.

Latest posts

Back